I’ve been really busy trying to learn SketchUp. My Son needs a new front porch on his home. I decided this would be a good way to learn SketchUp. His old concrete steps have been gradually leaning, & it makes the whole house seem crooked. He said if he sits on a step, he feels like he’s going to fall off. This was quite an experience for me, because I’ve used a T-square, & triangles for so long. This project took me an awfully long time, but I learn...
I have an update on the bench. The top is completed and I’m nearing the home stretch. I’m already starting to come up with ideas for special uses/jigs for the inserts in the well… I measured and drilled the holes for the end supports of the well and then threaded my pipe stock and checked for level. I also cut the blocks that are moved when you need to adjust the lateral clamps and positioned them above each leg and the center support. I laid in the MDF panels to make sur...
On day 2, we got into laying out the walls. We went with 2 foot centers on this shed. Last year we did a shed that was 16” on center, framed just like a house and the thing ended up being referred to as an above ground bomb shelter. It was too expensive and was overkill. We also did not utilize a double top plate on top of the walls and we did not use a full header also. I must remind myself this is a simple shed, not a house! We got most of the way with the walls today, tomorrow ...
We have sheeted the roof, and put the shingles on. We used a rolled roof vent to allow the hot air to escape in the summer. We will put a metal grate with a screen in the soffits to allow the cooler air to come in to push out the hot air through the roof vent. The shingles were matched to the customer’s house, and we went to work fitting the doors into the opening. The doors are the siding that was cut out of the opening in front. We trimmed out the doors with 1×4’s and ...
My construction class here at school started building a shed, and today was the day for the floor. Since this shed will be transported and moved around, we put three 2×6’s 12’-6” long on the bottom to use for skid plates. The floor is made from treated 2×4’s with 3/4” treated plywood flooring. This costs a little more, but it should last a long time since it will be exposed to the elements. We used 2-3/4” torx screws to attach the floor joists...
Last week I finished drilling many holes for the sides of the well. These included the holes for the clamping bars as well as the pilot holes and countersinks for the confirmat screws. This took a bit of time because of all the measuring and trial and error positioning to ensure I didn’t make any major mistakes since the FWW plans were subject to interpretation and my sketchup plans (last entry) were a little inaccurate regarding the size of the clamping bars. It paid off though. For ...
One day this workbench may be done. It is made from construction lumber. 4×4s, 2×6s and 2×4s. Other than being a functional piece for my “shop”. I wanted this to be a learning process for joinery I have not attempted. The size is about 4’x2’x35”. The small size has been depicted by my small space, the front portion of a 1 car garage. My one goal was to complete the structure of this workbench using no hardware, i.e., nails, screws, bo...
Its day 3 here in the Wahoo Woodshop and we finished up the framing and began the siding. The siding we got was a primed plywood type of siding. Its 5/8” thick and is great to work with. It has an OSB backing, and is strong enough to go right on the studs without any need for plywood on the walls. The guys are doing great, we got the front, one side and the rear done today. We also cut out the opening for the door. This plywood will make up the door later. We need to gather up so...
Lets just once again thank Mr. Albert J. Swanson for his wonderful invention of the Speed Square. I do not remember my Dad ever having these, he always used the traditional framing square. I have both in my woodshop, and both are great. The little book that comes with the Swanson speed square is awesome. Here is some info about the speed square. I have to give it some love, it makes laying out rafters so easy! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_square Once we laid out and stood up ...
I started with taking measurements of the initial cabinet and combining that with measurements taken from the miter saw itself. With these numbers in hand I created a basic plan in Google Sketchup. Usually I put together a rough drawing and some basic numbers and then I’m off to the races. This usually means I am constantly “planning” throughout the whole build. Learning to use Sketchup is helping me get away from this. I have also made drawings at full scale to see how thin...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1792 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Toy costruction - 114 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 110 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 98 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 81 parts
- Woodworking on a Half-Shoestring - 81 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1817 entries
- dbhost - 436 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- mafe - 313 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 254 entries
- robscastle - 241 entries
- Dave Rutan - 231 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 210 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 195 entries