My construction class here at school started building a shed, and today was the day for the floor. Since this shed will be transported and moved around, we put three 2×6’s 12’-6” long on the bottom to use for skid plates. The floor is made from treated 2×4’s with 3/4” treated plywood flooring. This costs a little more, but it should last a long time since it will be exposed to the elements. We used 2-3/4” torx screws to attach the floor joists...
So I started working on the first box tonight. I am working with 1/2” walnut that I ordered from WoodCraft. I had decided to take 1” off the front of the prototype and add 1” in width instead. Now the inside compartment can comfortably hold an iPhone or Droid. First I ripped the board to 2” wide then proceeded to cut it to 4 pieces each 6” long. Next I routed out a 1/2” dado for the dividing wall slot. After routing a dado for the box botto...
I posted a few days ago the prototype design I came up with for a men’s valet station. These were to be prizes to be presented at an upcoming golf tournament in November. I asked you all for input and comments on the design and of course I can always count on you guys just for that. The feedback and suggestions were great and have allowed me to modify the design to make it even better. For those of you who have not seen my submission here is the prototype that I had you all comment o...
Up to now, things were relatively easy. Now the actual work was going to start. To make the drawers, I decided to use Poplar. However, I did something I would now change. I purchased 4/4 of the stuff with the idea that I would resaw in half on my bandsaw. In retrospect, I should have purchased 8/4 and cut it into thirds. After resawing, planing and sanding, the boards were much thinner than I had hoped. The next decision was how to construct the drawers themselves. I have an Akeda Dovetai...
I started with taking measurements of the initial cabinet and combining that with measurements taken from the miter saw itself. With these numbers in hand I created a basic plan in Google Sketchup. Usually I put together a rough drawing and some basic numbers and then I’m off to the races. This usually means I am constantly “planning” throughout the whole build. Learning to use Sketchup is helping me get away from this. I have also made drawings at full scale to see how thin...
Last year I bought a half kitchen with the idea that I would add the cabinets to my workshop and give it an upgraded feel. (Right now everything is gray melamine which I got from an office that was being torn down.) When my wife saw that I was going to use the cabinets in my shop she immediately said they are too nice to get beat up in the shop. Too nice is a relative term. Let’s take a look. Here is an example of one of the cabinets. Here it is from different angle. Th...
Well, here goes; my first attempt at a blog, and because of that I’ll keep this entry short to see how my editing and pix uploading skills turn out. The purpose of the blog is to chronicle the design, construction and outfitting of my new shop. Assuming there is interest, I’ll add entries as progress is made. My hope is others can benefit from seeing the mistakes I’ll surely make along the way. I guess the first question is why build a shop. The answer seems a bit obvious since who does...
———————————————————————papaj’s shop——————————————————————— I am pretty close to finishing my construction project, but will postsome photos of the construction.I wanted to build most of the shop myself. I did co...
I have not been on Lumberjocks for awhile, but I still check in from time to time. I am currently working on a new project – building a tiny trailer house. I was planning on making a blog, but not done so yet. I debated whether to put a blog here, or on HomeRefurbers.com. Instead, I have been keeping picture updates on my facebook page – http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/profile.php?id=1703560147&ref=name . The tiny trailer house is based on the free plans from tinyhous...
I had been holding off buying this tool for several years. Recently one of my customers in whose house I had installed a fiberglass tub surround had a crack appear in the soap dish of the unit. The company sent someone out to fix the crack as the surround was still within the twenty year guarantee period. The repair failed within a year and the company at its option decided to replace the complete surround. When I install these surrounds I use twice the amount of adhesive that is supplied by ...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1742 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 106 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 79 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1767 entries
- dbhost - 419 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- mafe - 304 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 246 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 220 entries
- robscastle - 218 entries
- Dave Rutan - 214 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 194 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 190 entries