We have sheeted the roof, and put the shingles on. We used a rolled roof vent to allow the hot air to escape in the summer. We will put a metal grate with a screen in the soffits to allow the cooler air to come in to push out the hot air through the roof vent. The shingles were matched to the customer’s house, and we went to work fitting the doors into the opening. The doors are the siding that was cut out of the opening in front. We trimmed out the doors with 1×4’s and ...
We are trucking right along with the shed project. We sheeted the roof today. It wasn’t that tough, we just had to make sure we allowed the 1/2” OSB sheeting to overhang the proper amount on the front and rear. We are building a 6” soffit for a good appearance and it helps keep the rain away from the floor. We were able to make our materials work very efficiently since we stuck to 2’ on center with our rafters. We left about 1-1/2” of space down from the pea...
Lets just once again thank Mr. Albert J. Swanson for his wonderful invention of the Speed Square. I do not remember my Dad ever having these, he always used the traditional framing square. I have both in my woodshop, and both are great. The little book that comes with the Swanson speed square is awesome. Here is some info about the speed square. I have to give it some love, it makes laying out rafters so easy! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_square Once we laid out and stood up ...
Its day 3 here in the Wahoo Woodshop and we finished up the framing and began the siding. The siding we got was a primed plywood type of siding. Its 5/8” thick and is great to work with. It has an OSB backing, and is strong enough to go right on the studs without any need for plywood on the walls. The guys are doing great, we got the front, one side and the rear done today. We also cut out the opening for the door. This plywood will make up the door later. We need to gather up so...
On day 2, we got into laying out the walls. We went with 2 foot centers on this shed. Last year we did a shed that was 16” on center, framed just like a house and the thing ended up being referred to as an above ground bomb shelter. It was too expensive and was overkill. We also did not utilize a double top plate on top of the walls and we did not use a full header also. I must remind myself this is a simple shed, not a house! We got most of the way with the walls today, tomorrow ...
My construction class here at school started building a shed, and today was the day for the floor. Since this shed will be transported and moved around, we put three 2×6’s 12’-6” long on the bottom to use for skid plates. The floor is made from treated 2×4’s with 3/4” treated plywood flooring. This costs a little more, but it should last a long time since it will be exposed to the elements. We used 2-3/4” torx screws to attach the floor joists...
So I started working on the first box tonight. I am working with 1/2” walnut that I ordered from WoodCraft. I had decided to take 1” off the front of the prototype and add 1” in width instead. Now the inside compartment can comfortably hold an iPhone or Droid. First I ripped the board to 2” wide then proceeded to cut it to 4 pieces each 6” long. Next I routed out a 1/2” dado for the dividing wall slot. After routing a dado for the box botto...
I posted a few days ago the prototype design I came up with for a men’s valet station. These were to be prizes to be presented at an upcoming golf tournament in November. I asked you all for input and comments on the design and of course I can always count on you guys just for that. The feedback and suggestions were great and have allowed me to modify the design to make it even better. For those of you who have not seen my submission here is the prototype that I had you all comment o...
Up to now, things were relatively easy. Now the actual work was going to start. To make the drawers, I decided to use Poplar. However, I did something I would now change. I purchased 4/4 of the stuff with the idea that I would resaw in half on my bandsaw. In retrospect, I should have purchased 8/4 and cut it into thirds. After resawing, planing and sanding, the boards were much thinner than I had hoped. The next decision was how to construct the drawers themselves. I have an Akeda Dovetai...
I started with taking measurements of the initial cabinet and combining that with measurements taken from the miter saw itself. With these numbers in hand I created a basic plan in Google Sketchup. Usually I put together a rough drawing and some basic numbers and then I’m off to the races. This usually means I am constantly “planning” throughout the whole build. Learning to use Sketchup is helping me get away from this. I have also made drawings at full scale to see how thin...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1599 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 96 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- ScrollSaw Information and Resources - 68 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1624 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- mafe - 279 entries
- William - 258 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- shipwright - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 199 entries
- stefang - 198 entries
- Rustic - 188 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 187 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 176 entries