Seats slats have been attached with maple pegs, and everything dyed and given a coat of linseed oil. Compass stars from layout to inlay.
Started off today by working on the two compass roses. I laid out the roses on the glued-up blanks and started cutting them out: This makes interesting sawdust—a mix of walnut and holly. After lots of cutting and fitting, it was ready to glue up the secondary points: My technique is to put blue tape on the back of the rose, glue in the points, and cover them with blue tape on the front. This is sufficient to get a tight joint, and since the rose isn’t structural t...
I’ve made a lot of progress on the chair in the last few days, although I’m at one of those points in the project where the progress isn’t easily apparent. One thing I had to do was spend a few days re-bending or replacing a few of the seat and back slats because they either hadn’t bent well the first time around, or had cracked too much. Fortunately with steam bending the effective is somewhat cumulative, so a second bending cured those ills. I also cut and shape...
Made some good progress on the chair this weekend despite the usual competition for my time and attention. One task was to make the front leg supports and join them with the long runners. In a typical Adirondack chair these are just screwed together (and that’s how I made the practice chair) but I decided to do a half-lap joint which I’ll eventually decorate with some pegs. The layout of this isn’t straightforward, since the long runners are at about a 20 degree angle to ...
I can’t emphasize enough how important it is to take this part slowly. There are no shortcuts that leave you with a great inlay! Most commercial veneer is thin, 1/42nd or so. So you don’t have a lot of room to work with, once you’ve inlaid the compass rose. That means you need to make sure your inlay surface is ready to go. I used this maple panel with a little bit of curl to it. This has been pre-sanded to 320. You start by solidly taping down the inlay in i...
I decided to dress up one of the serving trays I’m making with a compass rose inlay. I used the excellent instructions of Mike Henderson. I used Walnut and figured (birdseye) Anigre veneer, and I’ll be inlaying the rose into a curly maple raised panel. I have most of the tools Mike mentioned, but I created some others, like a veneer cutting board, a cheap MDF 22.5 degree triangle. I also created a ‘veneer jointer’ out of some sandpaper and plywood. I...
Well, I was out playing on the entertainment cabinet today, doing pretty well at actually getting something done for a change, and then I started looking at the Ebony tops. Kind of boring I think. So, I was thinking, how could I complicate this. I’ve already rebuilt the top 3 times, due to these brilliant ideas. LOL I may never actually finish. Anyway, I was thinking some sort of design in them would give it a little extra kick, or maybe a different veneer. I laid out a few dif...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1807 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Toy costruction - 129 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 113 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 98 parts
- Woodworking on a Half-Shoestring - 90 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 81 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1832 entries
- dbhost - 440 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- mafe - 320 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 254 entries
- robscastle - 245 entries
- Dave Rutan - 245 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 221 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 214 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- bandit571 - 201 entries