I hate having to maneuver around the shop to turn on my dust collectors. A lot of times I don’t remember until I have the cut all lined up and ready to go. I hope this small modification will make things a little more convenient.In the post-Christmas clearance, I found a set of Christmas light remote switches. I checked them out and they were rated for 120v and 15A, so I decided to try them out on my equipment. They were around $7, so it wasn’t a big gamble. I like how it tur...
Until I get my dust collector piped to the entire workshop, I needed to use something other than my shop vac to collect planer chips. The sheer volume of sawdust created by the planer required me to build some type of receptacle that is large and easy to empty. I used inspiration from John Heisz and came up with my own semi-cyclonic, trash can chip collector.Enjoy! Trash Can Chip Collector
I built a particle separator that used a thien baffle in 5 gallon buckets. It has a small footprint, all one vertical unit, rolls around, has onboard hose storage and works great. Watch video.
EDIT: It looks like wide images don’t fit well into the format here. Any tips on the recommended max image width to use and that sort of thing? 25% of the right side of most of my images seem to be chopped off, which I can fix by shrinking the images, but I feel like they would get pretty small in that case! Hello everyone. This is my first time posting something on here, after many years of lurking silently and absorbing a ton of knowledge from the good people on here. I figured tha...
I’m up to my elbows in alligators lately overseeing a sizeable project for our Wood Department at work, where we manufacture crates an pallets. After shutting down our 10,000 s.f. architectural millwork operation last fall, we decided to expand our existing 20,000 s.f. crating shop into that space. We underwent a complete shop re-organization, utilizing a manufacturing engineering process called Systematic Plant Layout. It was a 7 month adventure and greatly reduced the inefficien...
This view shows the back side of my recently refurbished TS. There are ~46” between the saw and my primary work bench. I lowered the bench to match the height of the TS @ 32-7/8” and planned to bridge the two with an outfeed table…. but I wanted to do something different with it. Since I have two 4” DC lines running back there, I figured this would be a great place for a down draft table. Here’s the preliminary design… To maximize air flo...
Now that my thoughts have been put on paper, I figured that it would be useful for others to see my current workstations setup and some details on the design. The design was taken from an old shopnotes issue. I had to make some modifications to the dimension to accomodate the saw but for the most part the workstation is similar. However, rather than a router table in the right wing, I decided to put a downdraft table. The table saw has quite a bit of storage for storing blades, accessor...
About a year ago, I modified my ridgid contractor saw to a workstation setup with lots of storage and some other features like a down draft table and integrated dust collection. I didn’t want to spend a whole lot extra at the time to tackle the dust collection above the table so I modified the stock blade guard and hooked up a 2.5” hose to a vacuum which is plugged into a tool actuated power switch. Air is pulled through an overarm type setup that can fold down behind the saw wh...
Working out of my garage, I have been thinking about solutions to my dust problem. I made a power tool cart with my router, band saw, horizontal belt sander, scroll saw and chop saw all on one cart with heavy duty casters, and I simply wheel it out into the driveway and lock the wheels in place. When I am done working, any residual dust is blown into the empty dirt field next to my house using my leaf blower. In the winter months, this is less of an option for obvious reasons, and this has...
So first off I have a 14” Ridgid Bandsaw and have made a few modifications to it including a riser kit. I’ve made a jig to saw up to a 4’ log into boards. The thing works well but creates a lot of dust and the dust collection on this saw was the pits. I’ve seen the dust mod idea on the site a few times and it makes perfect sense. The little trick I found when doing this mod is that I used a 4” piece of 4” dbII (type of electrical conduit). I usually...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1742 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 107 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 79 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1767 entries
- dbhost - 420 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- mafe - 304 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 246 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 220 entries
- robscastle - 218 entries
- Dave Rutan - 214 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 194 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 190 entries