The first version of the coffee table include corner built legs. Two 1×4’s screwed and glued up at right angles with the bracing side curved in 3 inches above the floor. My more intelligent better looking half did not like the legs so I had to redo them. My style is called rustic. The entire table top is made from deck boards 5/8×6 by 35. The boards were rough sanded then biscuit joined and glued. Now the legs are 19” x 5 1/2” x 3 1/2’ landscape timber cut...
Thanks to the cold weather and some other things that had to be done, progress has slowed on this project. Last week I completed the drawer boxes and rough dimensioned the boards for the top. Today I finished dimensioning the top and got it all glued together. I was able to warm my shop up to about 70 today for the gluing, but brought the top in over night so I wouldn’t have to heat the shop as the outside temperature drops. In this picture, the grain on some of the boards loo...
Some friends of mine run a local Coffee Roasting and Espresso Bar here in my area (Michigan), and they contacted me about building six new table tops for their coffee shop. For the design, we decided to inlay their company logo in each table. I’m using Maple, Walnut and Cherry. I decided to start with making the star. To save some work, I made just two variations, but made them thick enough so that after the glue up, I could slice them in to multiple st...
My schedule didn’t work out as planned last week, but this past weekend things moved along nicely. I have completed construction of the base of the table. There is still a lot of sanding to do but for now I am ready to move on to the next step. You can see the pine lumber on the inside which will support the full-extension drawer slides. This was a case where lack of planning actually caused more work than should have been necessary, but as I was drawing up the plans I...
I made this table a couple months ago and it was my first coffee table i came up with the design myself and am working on tweaking it as i go on, please leave any input you feel necessary and let me know what you think NEWAGEWOODWORKS
This is a project my friend and I have been talking about for a while. Between both our schedules it’s been tough being able to actually start this and it will take a while to complete as well. The design we are going to use is something that my friend came up with, it’s his table after all ;). Today we drew up a rough sketch and picked up some maple and cherry for the top. The idea is to have a table top with a removable chessboard in the center. Underneath will expose an ice ...
I started a post about a wood gloat about a month ago. I found some nice walnut slabs at a sawmill for some projects. The first one up is a coffee table. I thought I would start a blog about the process of preparing the slab. I may follow this with more about adding a base to the table as it progresses. I’ve done a fair number of projects in the past, but nothing involving a big slab like this. I have been excited about getting this project started, but Christmas was approaching...
I managed to get a few hours in the shop earlier this week, and have the lumber for the main base of the table cut to rough size. I cut everything a little long and a little wide to allow for any movement and fine tuning that I need to do, and I can already see that it was a good thing I did. After it sits for a few days, I will be ready to cut and plane to the final dimensions. For now I am dividing the project into different sections; the main base, the top, the interior drawer support...
After several attempts, we have finally settled on a design for the new living room table. I had created several different Sketchup designs, with things like raised panels and different leg designs, but my wife asked that I come up with something simpler and more rounded. We also did some measuring, and decided to go with a shorter height, taking it down to sixteen inches. The pictures here show the basic design. This plan is intended just to allow construction at this point. Finalizi...
Preparation for this new project started a couple of weeks ago, although planning has been going on for a while. I purchased 200 board feet of locally harvested, air dried 4/4 walnut lumber. It has been sitting in a barn for quite a few years, and most of the boards are wide and fairly straight. Price was $2.00 per board foot. From what I have seen for prices on here, this seems to be pretty good. (I know 200 bf is more than I will need for this project, but I have a few others planned....
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1562 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 96 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- ScrollSaw Information and Resources - 68 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1587 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 395 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- mafe - 276 entries
- William - 258 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- shipwright - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 199 entries
- stefang - 188 entries
- Rustic - 188 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 181 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 175 entries