I’ve made good progress this week on the base for my coffee table. After splitting the larger chunk of wood down to size and doing some rough sanding, I decided to cobble together enough stuff for my router jig and set about getting ‘root’ side of this base leveled out. The router jig may not be the best tool for this procedure. I’ve seen guys work wonders with a steady hand and big chainsaw. But it does work well enough and it’s quieter than the chainsaw an...
This coffee table is built from maple milled out of 8/4 boards. I just did a very basic design using straight, clean lines. The top is made from glued up strips, a chamfered edge routed to soften the upper side and stained using Rust-oleum Ebony with a poly finish. I like pieces done in two-tone stain if contrasting woods are unavailable so I used Watco Danish Oil on the base. The base is put together using pocket-hole joinery thanks to the Kreg jig. Thanks for checking it out!...
Here is an idea for gun owners that don’t have a gun case or space for a wall gun case. That being said it is not just for guns, you can display just anything that will fit in the case, such as coins, knick knacks, precious mementos. The dimensions are 5’ by 2’ by 18” when it will be finished. There will also be a drawer under the showcase in the center of the table. The wood used is reclaimed barn wood from my barn.
I am well into my project now, as you can see I have made the table top and had the legs professionally turned and now I am ready to construct the table and finish it. The lines of the soccer field were done by using a 10mm straight cut router bit and moving along a fence for a straight cut, 10mm deep. Then strips of jarrah were cut 10mm wide and 13mm thick to insert into the grooves. All worked out perfectly! Now I plan to make a wooden soccer ball (truncated icosahedron) to displ...
I’m working on this coffee table as a wedding gift for my cousin and his wife-to-be. I’m a log furniture maker so there are a lot of techniques I haven’t been introduced to until I started working with fellow Lumber Jock, Kris Williams. Kris makes fine rustic furniture so I’ve been quite fascinated by some of the ways he does things and decided to start playing around with some of it. Of course, I don’t have all the machines Kris has so I require his help for a f...
I’ve decided that we need a coffee table in our family room. We used to have one, but it had a thick glass top that my 5YO son crashed into one day. The glass didn’t break, but the gash in the back of his head required a staple to keep it shut! Suffice it to say, we decided that it was time for that table to go. Now it’s hiding in the basement waiting for use to do something constructive with it (like sell it!). Now the family room is wide open and in need of something. I...
I started this blog with a post about flattening the odd-shaped slab of walnut over a year ago. A lumberjock recently requested that I follow up on that post as I had intended to. I don’t have as many photos of the rest of the process but will describe what I can. The router sled was awesome for making the slab flat and it was smooth enough that I could spend some time with hand planes and a card scraper to get it smooth without too much difficulty. It was still challenging becaus...
Watch this video that gives a quick tour of the furniture I’ve built for my kitchen and family room. The rooms share an open space and this video shows the placement of the furniture in both areas. This table and chair set was a major project completed in two phases. The first phase included the first four chairs and the table. I completed the first chair in Jan 93 and the fourth in Oct 93. The table was completed in Nov 93. The second phase was the fifth and sixth chairs co...
Well I’ve had to package up a few pieces to get shipped so I decided to make a time lapse video of the process of building a shipping crate for one of my Black Walnut coffee tables. Enjoy!
After cleaning the bark, the next task at hand was to fill the large crack in the top and the slab for the legs with epoxy, I used blue masking tape to cover the openings on the underside and the sides of both pices of walnut and placed them both over plastic/paper drop cloths from the depot. Their cheap and protect my benches and floor. I used System 3 mirror coat two-part epoxy, mixed according to the instructions using some cheap plastic mixing cups from an autobody supply house. I p...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1365 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Just for Fun... - 84 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1388 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 392 entries
- dbhost - 389 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- mafe - 228 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 190 entries
- Rustic - 185 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- shipwright - 180 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 166 entries
- PurpLev - 163 entries
- stefang - 157 entries