Well, I never did have the time to post the progress of this project as the actual progress occurred but it was completed and now I have a few moments to finish up this series and check it off my list. This project was much more time consuming than I anticipated but a good learning experience as it had several challenges. I’m relatively proud of it and KT loves it as we have a closet again (our clothes have been hanging from a hand rail supported by the two sides of our loft balcony ...
I was up to the house on Friday to deliver a couple of things and talk about some more carvings for the job. I was hoping they would be done with her area, but as you can see by the pictures I took that they have a little ways to go yet. Hopefully I’ll get a chance to go back up when its all complete and get more photo’s then. Until then here’s a few photo’s to give you the general idea of things will look in the end Thanks f...
As part of the revamp of the closet in our loft that collapsed a few moths ago, I built this jig to ensure all the holes for the shelf pins would line up and I (hopefully) won’t have any wobbly shelves. It was inspired by a jig sold by one of the well-known woodworking retailers. I couldn’t see buying one when I had all the necessary stuff sitting around (short of a special bit). In hind sight, the time spent might justify the cost. What can I say? I like building jigs. All the...
I found a little time between driving kids to dancing lessons, cleaning the pool, checking on the crew in the greenhouses (working overtime on Saturday), to work on the dresser. I have the feeling I started five other uncompleted projects while this dresser is waiting for attention. But we finally got to the point that the dresser is complete, the top is on, the drawers all line up, the drawer fronts are on, the hardware is temporarily installed. I am happy with the result. ...
Another Step Closer… Tonight, I sprayed the final coat of lacquer and painted the groove in the door black. Tomorrow I will hang the door first thing in the morning. The overnight dry time will allow the finish to cure sufficiently so that it may be handled with a hard finish. I installed the small door a few days ago and it went smoothly. The small door only weighs 48 lbs. The big one is 108 lbs. and keep in mind it is a hollow core door. Want More? Go to this li...
Exciting Progress.. I am making some great progress on my closet project. I currently have the copper rods in a machine shop where the parts are being fabricated. The clients and I had talked about changing the lights to better illuminate the fine work that I have produced. While the metal work is being done I decided to go ahead and install the new lights. WOW! Man-OH-Man! Does it ever look fantastic! Here is the closet with the old lights: Here is the closet with the n...
Finished! Well it’s been a long journey and it did not end without one extra push. I finished installing the copper handles Monday by 11:30. There was a couple of scratches but I was certain I could buff them out. This is a skill that goes with the territory. I worked on the finish for the next six hours and I could not get the finish to blend. How to Remove a Scratch- After exhausting all other options this is what I resorted to today: Yes you are seeing it correctly...
Yeah pine warping, not time warping, but since I’m a fan, I think my pine wood got confused and decided to start warping, this project became a mess, I had to set up a second rail in the bottom to force it straight, it doesn’t look all that bad once in it’s place, but I should have read before that “buy the wood the day you’ll use it” or something like that… I? still have lots and lots to learn, my wife? she stills pretends not to notice.
Success- I installed the big door today with a helping hand. The careful planning paid big dividends in an incredibly smooth and accurate install. Before doing the veneer work, I installed and fitted the doors. The doors were then taken to the shop and finished. The hinges were numbered and went back into the same locations. This meant that the final install required no additional adjustment. This is what I call jobsite theory, and it worked out this time. Getting a handle on it&...
The puppies are now installed with metal L brackets. L brackets were not the look at I was going for but I figured they give good support without having to block off the left side of the shelves with a support beam. If I had a router, I may have attempted to inset the L bracket into the bottom of the shelf but for now, this newbie is happy enough. Anybody ever veneer an L bracket? :) Not the most artistic project but fun nonetheless. p.s. That’s an IKEA sliding door that I hacked ...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1742 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 105 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 79 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1767 entries
- dbhost - 418 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- mafe - 304 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 245 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 220 entries
- robscastle - 218 entries
- Dave Rutan - 213 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 193 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 190 entries