Exciting Progress.. I am making some great progress on my closet project. I currently have the copper rods in a machine shop where the parts are being fabricated. The clients and I had talked about changing the lights to better illuminate the fine work that I have produced. While the metal work is being done I decided to go ahead and install the new lights. WOW! Man-OH-Man! Does it ever look fantastic! Here is the closet with the old lights: Here is the closet with the n...
Finished! Well it’s been a long journey and it did not end without one extra push. I finished installing the copper handles Monday by 11:30. There was a couple of scratches but I was certain I could buff them out. This is a skill that goes with the territory. I worked on the finish for the next six hours and I could not get the finish to blend. How to Remove a Scratch- After exhausting all other options this is what I resorted to today: Yes you are seeing it correctly...
Getting Closer… Well guys I can hardly stand it! I am getting so close to done on this project and yet there is so much to do. I just want to go home and be with my wife and my dogs so bad. This job has been a nail biter every step of the way. The more I get done, the more work I have at risk if I should screw up. A mistake could cost the equivalent of a good used car – NO KIDDING. If you want to do high-end work, the risk is high too. That is one factor most don’t...
Another Milestone I am pretty excited to share with you guys today’s progress. I got all of the handle pieces finished! Next I have some touch up on the doors and the final install. I am sure I will have a full day of technical sweating. I had to brush the pieces again on the wire wheel to brighten the finish. I then hung them from the ceiling and wiped them down thoroughly with acetone. This strips any oil from the surface. I sprayed them with an acrylic resin lacquer by Sh...
Success- I installed the big door today with a helping hand. The careful planning paid big dividends in an incredibly smooth and accurate install. Before doing the veneer work, I installed and fitted the doors. The doors were then taken to the shop and finished. The hinges were numbered and went back into the same locations. This meant that the final install required no additional adjustment. This is what I call jobsite theory, and it worked out this time. Getting a handle on it&...
Closet Project Well I am still in Ohio, and I am working on one incredible project. It is an entry closet for the house I built with my brother, which is not far from where I grew up. No Ordinary Closet This project takes the ordinary and ubiquitous closet to a whole new level. This is not made of sheetrock and 2×4’s. It is of black lacquered panels and veneer with artistic lines and custom copper handles. The doors have a 70-30 split and feature hidden hinges that open 18...
I was up to the house on Friday to deliver a couple of things and talk about some more carvings for the job. I was hoping they would be done with her area, but as you can see by the pictures I took that they have a little ways to go yet. Hopefully I’ll get a chance to go back up when its all complete and get more photo’s then. Until then here’s a few photo’s to give you the general idea of things will look in the end Thanks f...
Another Step Closer… Tonight, I sprayed the final coat of lacquer and painted the groove in the door black. Tomorrow I will hang the door first thing in the morning. The overnight dry time will allow the finish to cure sufficiently so that it may be handled with a hard finish. I installed the small door a few days ago and it went smoothly. The small door only weighs 48 lbs. The big one is 108 lbs. and keep in mind it is a hollow core door. Want More? Go to this li...
Making Progress- I’m moving forward on my project but not fast enough. I am anxious to get home to my wife in Billings and she is anxious to have me home too. For now I am stuck in Ohio for at least another week as far as I can see. Small Door Up- I installed the small door on Friday and the clients are just nuts over the finish. I am pretty happy with it myself. Part of the veneer is done in straight red dye and the other part is done with layers of red and black. The red i...
Well, I never did have the time to post the progress of this project as the actual progress occurred but it was completed and now I have a few moments to finish up this series and check it off my list. This project was much more time consuming than I anticipated but a good learning experience as it had several challenges. I’m relatively proud of it and KT loves it as we have a closet again (our clothes have been hanging from a hand rail supported by the two sides of our loft balcony ...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1782 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 110 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Toy costruction - 106 parts
- Just for Fun... - 98 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 81 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- Woodworking on a Half-Shoestring - 77 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1807 entries
- dbhost - 432 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- mafe - 307 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 254 entries
- robscastle - 235 entries
- Dave Rutan - 228 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 195 entries