Went flea market and antique shopping today. and surprising my wife bought nothing and I came home withfour items. How did I do? The modern plane is marked “Fulton 22” and looks to be in decent shape. $15. The old wooden plane looks like it had a rough life. It has a surprisingly sharp blade! $15. I couldn’t turn down the Skill saw clock. It actually ran after I untangled the hands. 1/2 price, 6$. Marking gauge.. either a poor attempt or a ...
So I’ve had a little luck (Big thank you to WoodArtbyJR) getting a hold of the Hobby Hall people at the Fair and talked about my options for displaying the clock. The first option was a half wall above the display cases they store most the entries. This would be ok if the wall wasn’t 4 feet tall and started more than 6 feet above the ground. This meant, my clock would have to be displayed without the pendulum as the entire clock is over 5 feet in length with the pendulum installed...
On #3 of this series I flattened out a slice from a Birch stump. I went on & completed the job today. I also added it to My Projects.The size is about 25” x 20’ x 2 1/2” , & it weighs about 20 pounds. I made the motor cavity larger to lighten it up a little. _The other day I routed out the backside for the clock motor. I checked out the motor installation. Carved some numbers on the face. I carved a Maple leaf for the pendulum weight. I hung the clock...
Today was the day! I drove out to Puyallup and dropped off the clock. The stand and clock fit very nicely in the car and had tons of room. Upon arriving at the fair grounds and finding the appropriate area to drop off, I was greeted by one of the volunteers. After some confusion about size maximums (item must not be more than 80 inches over all, width + length) I got everything out of the car and began setting up. Thankfully there were plenty of people on hand to settle the dimension confusio...
Youtube blog for this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAaiTRtSetk&feature=youtu.be Clock ” The House of the Time”. “von Einik family style”, pine, cedar, ceramics, woodfinish – beeswax, and the real Chinese clockwork. Without many words – everything is clear on the photos. Enjoy! Pictures a...
As I have mentioned in a few places, I am in the middle of moving my workplace. Which is where my shop is. It’s going to be at LEAST another month before I get to unpack, maybe more. Things are in an annoying limbo. I went down to the old place today to bang out a few things. I had more ideas in mind but they have to wait. Humidity and I are having a raging battle and I’m on the loosing side of the war. Sigh. But, I had a stack of designs I had cut earlier that needed some b...
Remember yesterday, I was thinking about getting rid of that big old Stanley Pin Router. After looking at what it can be used for, I’ve changed my mind. I dug out this big chunk of Birch sawed from a stump. (A logger was kind enough to leave it there after cutting it.) In about 2 hours I flattened the thing out, pretty handy hey.For all the years I’ve had this machine, my only thought of for using this was pin routing. I’m now going to make fence setup, so I can drill mortis...
Progress being made on my clock project – Ironic that I’m having to continue my learning of patience on a project to make a time measurement piece. Check out my progress here to read about my exploits as I reflect and continue this project. Here are also some additional pictures I decided to not include in the blog.Rear side of the face & frame assembly. There’s a gap between the face and the lower rail of the frame to allow the pendulum to swing freely. Note that ...
Okay, it’s not something I can gain a lot of prestige or money from, but it’s a personal Eureka moment that I had to struggle with on my own to understand. Being of scientific mind, I couldn’t let the issue lie from my last blog post on the shifting shades of my clock face. If the hypothesis in my blog post is out to lunch, I would love to discuss it here or on my blog site.
Moved a couple steps closer to the finish line over the weekend. My push list includes:1.Make a back with inlay heart2. Final sand everything so no tool marks3. Devise arm, foot and face attachments4. Stain and varnish5. Clock parts attached For the back I tried to find purpleheart veneer as I wanted to put it over MDF…. it was $85.00 for a roll, so Itried to make the veneer myself. There was no way my saw would cut it thin enough as it is set up and the blade dulled from the ...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1541 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 94 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- ScrollSaw Information and Resources - 68 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1566 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 394 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- mafe - 268 entries
- William - 258 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- shipwright - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 199 entries
- stefang - 188 entries
- Rustic - 186 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 181 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 170 entries