The Greene brothers used ebony extensively in their furniture and architectural pieces and that use has become a trademark of their woodworking designs. I wanted to try to stay true to their designs and use actual ebony plugs in the Greene and Greene style clocks I am building. I was not impressed with the shouldered plug design the plans called for and wanted true pillowed ebony plugs in my clocks. Pricing Ebony, I decided that I would have to come up with some other method of getting my plu...
So here’s a little advice. When you are working with matching sets of magnets, great care should be taken to make sure to set them in place so that the poles do not… Oooooops! Dag-nab-it! #$%^$#&*! Yup, you guessed it. How embarassing is that? I glued the magnets in backwards so they repelled each other. What to do? What to do? How am I going to fix this mess? Should I throw it away and, gulp, make a new part? Is there a way to reverse polarity? Turns out there i...
The last step in the process is to install the magnets. If you’ve followed this blog you may recall how I messed this up in the first Weather Station. Here’s a link to that particular mistake and my solution. http://lumberjocks.com/newTim/blog/7909. Of coarse the best solution is to get it right the first time. So here goes. I started by glueing in two magnets using CA glue. This time around I splurged on a 10MM drill bit to match the 10mmx5mm magnets. It seems it is muc...
I thought the piece needed a little pizazz so I added ebony strips to the top and bottom. Ebony and maple look great and I think it added alot to the overall look. Next came sand, sand, sand… then a fairly straighforward and uneventful glue up, except one little thing. Check out the next blog entry to see a major screw up. Besides tape I also used a countersink bit to bevel the edges of the upward facing holes to help control squeeze out. It seemed to work pretty well and by the lo...
I don’t know what time it is!!! If only I had a clock!But not just any clock. A four foot long digital clock made out of antique mahogany wood. Guess it is time to make some sawdust! I bought a board of reclaimed mahogany from woodcraft: Then I created a pattern for the led segments: I used a scroll saw to cut the segments out of the wood, and a plunge router to hollow out the back side of the wood: Add some wood varnish to the top side: I used little pieces of brass supe...
I’ve been chipping away at this an hour or two at a time. I’m almost finished with this Shaker Wall Clock (a la Norm) in Peruvian Walnut. I’m going to design the face myself (and that’s just about the last thing I have to do!) Planned to use hidden hinges and magnets to close the doors. How do you all think I should finish this? Danish oil? —David
A fellow motorcyclist and long time friend of mine is getting married, despite my ardent advice to run. Since I’m obligated to provide some sort of item to mark the occasion, I decided to make something on the lathe. Since both he and his fiancé ride, I wanted to make something motorcycling-related – but things turned on the lathe don’t have much practical use in that area… Or, at least, I couldn’t think of one. After much deliberation, I settled upon ...
This is a first on more than one aspect. My first project blog and first serious scroll saw project. I bought my scroll saw about 3 years ago and hadn’t used it until a few days ago. It’s a Grizzly model and works fairly well for its price point. But anyways, just wanted to capture the build process on this elaborate fretwork for my current level of woodworking. Hope you follow along. This is on 1/4” ply and this is one of any holes I need to saw out. Hopefully I can get...
I finally received my shipment from Rockler. I opened up the packaging for one set of the AA powered quartz movement w/ pendulum and one package of the hands that I had selected. I assembled them and hung them on the wall. It took me a second (literally) to realize that the second hand was moving backwards. Also, the pendulum wouldn’t keep swinging. The hands also kept coming off the drive shaft. I reassembled after verifying the diagram on the back of the packaging. Still unacce...
We were contacted by a client to restore his Boulle cartel clock. Boulle is no fun to restore, it is time consuming and quite a special. For budget reasons we are restoring his piece by stages. The clock is composed of 3 parts and each of them will be restored in 3 sessions. We will start with the top We remove the bronzes The unglued brass pieces are lifted and rubbing is made for the missing brass elements The cavities are full of oxidized glue that nee...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1742 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 107 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 80 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1767 entries
- dbhost - 420 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- mafe - 304 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 246 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 220 entries
- robscastle - 218 entries
- Dave Rutan - 214 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 194 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 190 entries