I finally received my shipment from Rockler. I opened up the packaging for one set of the AA powered quartz movement w/ pendulum and one package of the hands that I had selected. I assembled them and hung them on the wall. It took me a second (literally) to realize that the second hand was moving backwards. Also, the pendulum wouldn’t keep swinging. The hands also kept coming off the drive shaft. I reassembled after verifying the diagram on the back of the packaging. Still unacce...
I figured it was time to start another new blog. We’ve got friends that are getting married, and we wanted to give them something special. I figure the best gift you can give is one you want for yourself, so I’m going to make two while I’m at it. We originally thought about a mirror, but realized shipping it would be problematic. Then I thought about the clock project that had been bouncing around in the back of my head. After my usual extensive research, this is the de...
I have been searching around the internet for a wall clock that I like, I have been able to find clocks that have some design features I like but not one that reached out and grabbed me. This one from Klockit came the closest, I don’t care for the choice of wood or the finish but I can change these things. There aren’t any plans as the clock is only available in kit form. The Klockit website shows a finished Size: 13 1/4”H x 13 1/2”W x 5 1/2”D, I’m thinking these dime...
I’ve been chipping away at this an hour or two at a time. I’m almost finished with this Shaker Wall Clock (a la Norm) in Peruvian Walnut. I’m going to design the face myself (and that’s just about the last thing I have to do!) Planned to use hidden hinges and magnets to close the doors. How do you all think I should finish this? Danish oil? —David
The last step in the process is to install the magnets. If you’ve followed this blog you may recall how I messed this up in the first Weather Station. Here’s a link to that particular mistake and my solution. http://lumberjocks.com/newTim/blog/7909. Of coarse the best solution is to get it right the first time. So here goes. I started by glueing in two magnets using CA glue. This time around I splurged on a 10MM drill bit to match the 10mmx5mm magnets. It seems it is muc...
So here’s the finished version. I applied two coats of GF Seal-A-Cell along with two GF top coats and a coat of wax with a lot of rubbing. First some bad news/good news. If you read my previous blog entry “I am repelled” I went through the process of fixing the magnet mistake. Well here’s another little oversight. The temperature tags on the balloons in the Galileo are metal. That’s the bad news. The good news is they are outside the range of the magnets i...
So here’s a little advice. When you are working with matching sets of magnets, great care should be taken to make sure to set them in place so that the poles do not… Oooooops! Dag-nab-it! #$%^$#&*! Yup, you guessed it. How embarassing is that? I glued the magnets in backwards so they repelled each other. What to do? What to do? How am I going to fix this mess? Should I throw it away and, gulp, make a new part? Is there a way to reverse polarity? Turns out there i...
I thought the piece needed a little pizazz so I added ebony strips to the top and bottom. Ebony and maple look great and I think it added alot to the overall look. Next came sand, sand, sand… then a fairly straighforward and uneventful glue up, except one little thing. Check out the next blog entry to see a major screw up. Besides tape I also used a countersink bit to bevel the edges of the upward facing holes to help control squeeze out. It seemed to work pretty well and by the lo...
Now that I finished the Japanese Garden Bench I had the chance to begin a project I’ve been noodling about since Christmas. This is exactly how I like things to go. Always have a book to read, always have a project on the bench, always have a project set to go. BTW, the book, Atlas Shrugged. 1,100+ pages. The most relevant book I’ve read, I highly recommend it, but I digress. In the pictures you can get a sense of what I’m shooting for. A Galileo Thermometer flanked w...
Moving further down the road to starting a professional shop, I’ve designed my own logo, seen here: I’ve had a stamp made up of it, so I can “sign” my projects. I think it will look professional. I did want to use Maker's Marks, but this guy is impossible to get a hold of; I’m guessing he is incredibly busy. Anyhow, I think it came out well. I’ve also done more planning on what to make and sell. I have a small shop, so making huge furniture is ...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1509 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 94 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1533 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 394 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- mafe - 252 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- shipwright - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 199 entries
- stefang - 186 entries
- Rustic - 186 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 177 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 165 entries