This is part of III of the blog series where the vise is disassembled and cleaned. Disassembly:I would like to take the vise apart, however it looks like I have to take a compromise. I decided to disassemble the vise as much possible. Once the pin at the rear of the vise was tapped out, I was able to tap the rear guide plate out. Once that is out, the back jaw assembly slides out easily. Now you could clearly see the threaded shoe. I also noticed there is a spring on the fr...
I was out strolling the yard sales looking for an old Stanley handplane to restore but instead I came across two old Disston handsaws for $10 each. I personally don’t have many antique tools but have been thinking about starting a little collection lately so I picked them both up and took them home. When I got home I went on to the disstonian institutes website and found the saws I had just purchased. The first saw is a D8 that I dated between 1896-1917. It has the handle with the th...
This saw plate is remarkably well preserved for its age, but it could benefit from a clean. I gathered the stuff I thought I might need, but all I used was the 3-IN-ONE degreaser foam, the Hammerite Rust Removal Gel, the green scouring pad, kitchen roll, and wet and dry paper (more than you see in the picture below). I start by spraying the plate with the degreaser. I have found that the rust remover works better on the first application if the surface has been degreased first. ...
Hey gang hope your weekend was enjoyable. It was a rather humid and….crowded day in these parts of NJ…LOL. But I was happy to get back home from the traffic way back in the woods and on route to my shop to fire up the wire wheel, WD-40 and spirit of better times and clean some nice auction finds for the tool tote! Let’s take a look at some of the pics! Pic 1-2: Found this very cool Disston keyhole saw in an old tool box at the auction this weekend….it was o...
I Am On Fire! It was -15° outside but I was burning up in the shop with an intense desire to organize the lumber rack and get rid of extra stock. This was the last of three projects that I started during the Christmas/New Years week. 1. Sheet the last unfinished wall with plywood.2. Create a sheet goods organizer3. Organize lumber rack and get rid of extra lumber Here is the before picture of the lumber storage area. But take a look at the lumber and sheet goods area now! ...
No different then painting the house. The trick is the preparation. That is the part that takes the most amount of time. The actual painting part goes very fast. I took the time to mask off the area that I didn’t want get painted. I didn’t want to have to scrape off the over spray. I took the time to mask off these areas. Tape and newspaper were used. Since my wife had previous compliant about my can spraying projects in the basement, I am doing in the garage with the garage door open...
It is no secret, I like old tools. Like many of you, I find tools in yard sales and thrift store with marks and decals that just don’t belong. A few years ago, an antique dealer told me about something he used to remove permanent marker and decal residue from most metals and enameled surfaces. It safely removes the ink or glue residue without damaging enameled surfaces. I have used it to remove unwanted permanent marker inks, label adhesives and even latex/acrylic paint splatters....
Have you ever walked away from your Workshop after a project without doing the proper cleanup? Here’s why that’s a really bad idea! We had spent so much time building the log bed that we just didn’t bother to clean up. And after nearly a week of avoiding the basement entirely I was starting to feel pretty guilty…one day I even took my project out to the front yard to “work in the sunshine.” In reality I was avoiding the mess! But I wasn’t the o...
So this weekend we finally got the dust collector over in the final spot. I was anticipating perhaps working on my son’s gun rack, but he had other plans this weekend . . . but I knew I was going to need to do something about the dust collector hoses. When I moved the dust collector over the other night I noticed that the inlet side of the chip collector happened to fall right between the furnace ducts – the supply and returns. This gave me a great idea about running the 4 inch...
Ok—two success stories last night. I got rid of one cheesy (cheap) toolbox that I bought years ago for the princely sum of $40 . . . some happy owner has a new $10 toolbox for his grandson. The most important part is I have more floor space! As you can see in the recently updated Sketchup drawing . . .I need it! So the plan is to keep on selling/giving away/trashing what I don’t need. Thus far I’ve discovered that if you put it on Freecycle/Freebie type listings p...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1792 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Toy costruction - 115 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 110 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 98 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 81 parts
- Woodworking on a Half-Shoestring - 81 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1817 entries
- dbhost - 436 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- mafe - 313 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 254 entries
- robscastle - 241 entries
- Dave Rutan - 231 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 210 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 195 entries