This article first appeared on my website, Lockwatcher's Lair – I am duplicating it here to share my experience using this system with my fellow Lumberjocks. While not specificly “woodworking” this system can speed up the process of reconditioning old tools without destroying them. The Rust Bucket Let me first thank my good friend Dave, of Pearce Woodworking for this great idea. Dave had some used hand tools he needed to clean up and had located this method th...
This saw plate is remarkably well preserved for its age, but it could benefit from a clean. I gathered the stuff I thought I might need, but all I used was the 3-IN-ONE degreaser foam, the Hammerite Rust Removal Gel, the green scouring pad, kitchen roll, and wet and dry paper (more than you see in the picture below). I start by spraying the plate with the degreaser. I have found that the rust remover works better on the first application if the surface has been degreased first. ...
I was out in my garage the other day and went to start a project. Reaching into my toolbox and retrieving a hand plane the first thing I noticed was that it was rusting. Agian! I had just cleaned the rust off of all my planes a little over a month ago and already they were showing signs of new rust. There is nothing more frustrating than spending my free time cleaning rust off of my tools over and over again. I need to find a better way to protect my tools. I already keep them stored in a ...
This is part of III of the blog series where the vise is disassembled and cleaned. Disassembly:I would like to take the vise apart, however it looks like I have to take a compromise. I decided to disassemble the vise as much possible. Once the pin at the rear of the vise was tapped out, I was able to tap the rear guide plate out. Once that is out, the back jaw assembly slides out easily. Now you could clearly see the threaded shoe. I also noticed there is a spring on the fr...
EDIT: It looks like wide images don’t fit well into the format here. Any tips on the recommended max image width to use and that sort of thing? 25% of the right side of most of my images seem to be chopped off, which I can fix by shrinking the images, but I feel like they would get pretty small in that case! Hello everyone. This is my first time posting something on here, after many years of lurking silently and absorbing a ton of knowledge from the good people on here. I figured tha...
No different then painting the house. The trick is the preparation. That is the part that takes the most amount of time. The actual painting part goes very fast. I took the time to mask off the area that I didn’t want get painted. I didn’t want to have to scrape off the over spray. I took the time to mask off these areas. Tape and newspaper were used. Since my wife had previous compliant about my can spraying projects in the basement, I am doing in the garage with the garage door open...
Ok . . . this is just ugly I know. Part of the reason for that is it’s actually “in process” because I moved some stuff to get a work surface that I moved into the basement area. I have a 4 foot high table and a hutch type table area that I moved into the basement area for doing electronics and computer type work on. That freed up some area along the back wall, but left me with a lot of mess that was being stored on the table. Ugh. You can see the variety in stora...
After ripping a bunch of somewhat “wet” Douglas Fir for my workbench, the blade on my table saw was pretty gummed up. It was time for a good cleaning. When I clean my saw blades I keep it simple and use Simple Green. It’s able to clean off most of what can get on a saw blade.I saturate both sides of the blade with Simple Green and let set for about 15 minutes. I then use an old toothbrush to scrub the residue off. I also use a glove, because the teeth are sharp and we want to work safe. ...
I Think I’m Sick… I can’t seem to stop organizing the shop. I thought that I was done organizing and I started to move on with my project but did not get very far. I got sidetracked with getting my taxes together. This led to the realization that I could dispose of 5 years worth of files and paperwork. This led to me emptying out several file storage containers and almost burning up my shredder. I got a bug and started cleaning up the storage room. This allowed m...
I was out strolling the yard sales looking for an old Stanley handplane to restore but instead I came across two old Disston handsaws for $10 each. I personally don’t have many antique tools but have been thinking about starting a little collection lately so I picked them both up and took them home. When I got home I went on to the disstonian institutes website and found the saws I had just purchased. The first saw is a D8 that I dated between 1896-1917. It has the handle with the th...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1659 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- ScrollSaw Information and Resources - 68 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1684 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- dbhost - 400 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- mafe - 281 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 229 entries
- Betsy - 225 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- stefang - 206 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 200 entries
- robscastle - 189 entries
- Rustic - 189 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 188 entries
- Chris Davis - 184 entries