I probably have spent more than I should at a recent tool sale. However, I could claim that I did manage to have a great find. As I was leaving, I noticed a pile of braces. Well, I already have a few and I also was interested in finding the missing jaws for my Yankee. Why not, I dig in to the pile. Since the Yankee has a distinct look with a button for ratchet control, it didn’t take long to find one. Yes, it is old and showed signs of age. Here are the pictures. The handle measure...
No different then painting the house. The trick is the preparation. That is the part that takes the most amount of time. The actual painting part goes very fast. I took the time to mask off the area that I didn’t want get painted. I didn’t want to have to scrape off the over spray. I took the time to mask off these areas. Tape and newspaper were used. Since my wife had previous compliant about my can spraying projects in the basement, I am doing in the garage with the garage door open...
This is part of III of the blog series where the vise is disassembled and cleaned. Disassembly:I would like to take the vise apart, however it looks like I have to take a compromise. I decided to disassemble the vise as much possible. Once the pin at the rear of the vise was tapped out, I was able to tap the rear guide plate out. Once that is out, the back jaw assembly slides out easily. Now you could clearly see the threaded shoe. I also noticed there is a spring on the fr...
This saw plate is remarkably well preserved for its age, but it could benefit from a clean. I gathered the stuff I thought I might need, but all I used was the 3-IN-ONE degreaser foam, the Hammerite Rust Removal Gel, the green scouring pad, kitchen roll, and wet and dry paper (more than you see in the picture below). I start by spraying the plate with the degreaser. I have found that the rust remover works better on the first application if the surface has been degreased first. ...
This article first appeared on my website, Lockwatcher's Lair – I am duplicating it here to share my experience using this system with my fellow Lumberjocks. While not specificly “woodworking” this system can speed up the process of reconditioning old tools without destroying them. The Rust Bucket Let me first thank my good friend Dave, of Pearce Woodworking for this great idea. Dave had some used hand tools he needed to clean up and had located this method th...
I was out strolling the yard sales looking for an old Stanley handplane to restore but instead I came across two old Disston handsaws for $10 each. I personally don’t have many antique tools but have been thinking about starting a little collection lately so I picked them both up and took them home. When I got home I went on to the disstonian institutes website and found the saws I had just purchased. The first saw is a D8 that I dated between 1896-1917. It has the handle with the th...
Have you ever walked away from your Workshop after a project without doing the proper cleanup? Here’s why that’s a really bad idea! We had spent so much time building the log bed that we just didn’t bother to clean up. And after nearly a week of avoiding the basement entirely I was starting to feel pretty guilty…one day I even took my project out to the front yard to “work in the sunshine.” In reality I was avoiding the mess! But I wasn’t the o...
So I’ve made my drill charging station and decided I needed to cleanup a few boxes of miscellaneous shop stuff from when I moved 4 hrs ago. It’s amazing what you can find when you clean. I found a router wrench that I’d been looking for for atleast year. I must of tossed it in there one day. I also discovered that I had doubles of two forstner bit which they don’t give away. Guess I need to get organized more often!
This is my small vise. It’s about 50 years old, and was hand made by the original owner from scrap metal. His son later sold it to my father in law, who replaced the center screw and re-welded the whole thing. All this work, my FIL tells me, both his repairs and the original fabrication, was done over lunch hours at the steel mill. I’ve given it a good spray with WD-40, and gone at it with #3 steel wool. I got some of the paint off, and some of the rust, but ...
I was getting the shipping gunk off of my OSS (had it two years and never used it) using some Naphtha and a rag. It was going well, and I remembered hearing that Naphtha was good at cleaning planer rollers, so I figured it should be good for any of those foam grippy things we have around the shop. So a quick wipe of my jointer push blocks and my Grripper and they are all like new again. It was amazing how much extra grip was lost from a thin coating of dust. So I’m leaving the N...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1793 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Toy costruction - 116 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 110 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 98 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Woodworking on a Half-Shoestring - 82 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 81 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1818 entries
- dbhost - 436 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- mafe - 313 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 254 entries
- robscastle - 242 entries
- Dave Rutan - 231 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 211 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 195 entries