Edited 8/21/09: A couple of years ago I took an intro class on wood carving. The school had on hand some carving benches for the students to use but, naturally, I had to make my own design. Below is the design that I came up with. It was small enough for me to lug to class and large enough to handle most of the carving projects that I anticipate doing. It also allowed me the flexibility to accommodate various sizes of work and be able to reposition them without unscrewing and re-screwing...
I have an update on the bench. The top is completed and I’m nearing the home stretch. I’m already starting to come up with ideas for special uses/jigs for the inserts in the well… I measured and drilled the holes for the end supports of the well and then threaded my pipe stock and checked for level. I also cut the blocks that are moved when you need to adjust the lateral clamps and positioned them above each leg and the center support. I laid in the MDF panels to make sur...
I’ve renamed my 5 preexisting project series from “project: whatever” to “00n: whatever” where n is the number of the set of posts in order. E.g. instead of “project: a rolling base for my planer,” that was the second project series I made, so now it’s “002: a rolling base for my planer.” The projects were starting to scatter in my series list, and I’d have a few series listed at the top in the drop-down for new posts, then an ...
When working on my various woodworking projects I found times that I had to glue odd joints and really didn’t have the clamps I needed. The solution to the problem was the development of a clamping block that simplified clamping these uncommon joints. The Universal Clamping Block tool will let you clamp the usual miters and and frames but will also facilitate the clamping of a great variety of other joints that occur in woodworking projects that present special clamping problems. ...
I have just about finished the bench. As it is right now, everything is functioning and I have moved it over to the actual work area. Tasks completed include:1) Mounted clips on the stretcher for the face clamps;2) Drilled holes in the bars of the face clamps so they can be adjusted with speed pins;3) Milled and mounted the drop-in clamping blocks for the tail vice clamps (used in the well);4) Cut and mounted the planing wedge to the front rail. Here are the pics.I don’t have a pic of...
... with a little luck….with a little luck…..and some help from my sister, handtools ..... I have over the year always talked about how great and fantastic possibillity it is for you to have acces to fleamarkets and other places where it is possible to buy good used beautyfull handtoolsmore or less rusty but with a little albowe grease and knowledge is going to bee great users again I have envy you alot when I have seen your toolgloats witch has cost mee many green bulbs and...
I got the casters on yesterday, cutting some scrap wood board to fit along the edges inside the bottom, and joining them in with pocket hole screws from underneath. Extra sturdy now, and the wheels are all in plane with each other. I wasn’t sure how tall they were, and it was critical, as I was designing this to be as high as possible, while still fitting comfortably under my work table. I have Rockler’s digital height gauge, and it showed me they were all exactly 2.5” (actu...
From my blog: Christopher Schwarz made a terrific presentation at the Berea Hand Tool Conference in November: Forgotten Workbenches and Workholding. During his presentation Chris covered workholding (it will appear in the videos for Parts 2 and 3 on this blog). As a result of this presentation, I started doing some serious thinking about my European style workbench, and how I could improve clamping of work pieces when hand cutting dovetails, clamping jigs in place, etc. The existing ...
Grandkids And The Studio Furniture Movement The space-time continuum changes when you add the grandkids factor to the intended work progress equation, but that is OK. Rita and I had a couple of the grandsons for the weekend and they spent some time in the shop with me. I went out to the shop Saturday morning with the 2 boys in tow (ages 3 and 4) and thought that I would finish my organizational efforts in just a few hours – silly me. It took me all morning just to install the ceil...
So here it is, the final glue up. I over clamped to be safe, not in the sense of clamping pressure but as far as where I was clamping. This glue up entailed gluing all 4 sets of tails and pins with the mitered front (all the same piece) of the carcass as well as gluing in the center of the floating panel. By glueing the center of the panel I control the movement of expansion and contraction to both edges, ensuring the gaps always stay very close to the same, also keeping them as smal...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1659 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- ScrollSaw Information and Resources - 68 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1684 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- dbhost - 400 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- mafe - 281 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 229 entries
- Betsy - 225 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- stefang - 206 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 200 entries
- robscastle - 189 entries
- Rustic - 189 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 188 entries
- Chris Davis - 184 entries