Grandkids And The Studio Furniture Movement The space-time continuum changes when you add the grandkids factor to the intended work progress equation, but that is OK. Rita and I had a couple of the grandsons for the weekend and they spent some time in the shop with me. I went out to the shop Saturday morning with the 2 boys in tow (ages 3 and 4) and thought that I would finish my organizational efforts in just a few hours – silly me. It took me all morning just to install the ceil...
Edited 8/21/09: A couple of years ago I took an intro class on wood carving. The school had on hand some carving benches for the students to use but, naturally, I had to make my own design. Below is the design that I came up with. It was small enough for me to lug to class and large enough to handle most of the carving projects that I anticipate doing. It also allowed me the flexibility to accommodate various sizes of work and be able to reposition them without unscrewing and re-screwing...
I drove down my road yesterday on the way home from work and noticed a sign in front of one of my neighbors houses…Woodworking Tools For Sale! We new each other to speek once in a while in the last 34 years but only to say hello. I went down there this morning to see what was up and found out Andy had died last January. We both have been woodworkers all these years but didn’t know it! The Son-in-law showed me around and I picked up a few things! All for $20…sweet!
When we last left off, I was about to glue up the first cabinet door. Here it is clamped and drying: Here’s a detail (the wet marks at the left are just from wiping out glue – they dried up and disappeared): And because time-lapse videos are so fun, here’s the glue-up of the second door: And now the finished doors. Well… finished gluing together. Now there’s still sanding and coats of whatever I decide to use. I’ve been thinking of de...
I got the casters on yesterday, cutting some scrap wood board to fit along the edges inside the bottom, and joining them in with pocket hole screws from underneath. Extra sturdy now, and the wheels are all in plane with each other. I wasn’t sure how tall they were, and it was critical, as I was designing this to be as high as possible, while still fitting comfortably under my work table. I have Rockler’s digital height gauge, and it showed me they were all exactly 2.5” (actu...
I was wandering through a Dupont Company Salvage outlet in Wilmington Area of Delaware and I spied a box full of paper clamps. Those of you who work in office buildings are familiar with them. They are used to hold a lot of pages together. I’ve used rubber bands for clamps before and I thought these would work. Work they do. I’m using these to clamp some face boards on my drawers fronts under construction. Available (at least in my box) in three sizes. 1/4”, ...
From my blog: Christopher Schwarz made a terrific presentation at the Berea Hand Tool Conference in November: Forgotten Workbenches and Workholding. During his presentation Chris covered workholding (it will appear in the videos for Parts 2 and 3 on this blog). As a result of this presentation, I started doing some serious thinking about my European style workbench, and how I could improve clamping of work pieces when hand cutting dovetails, clamping jigs in place, etc. The existing ...
I’ve finally started the final assembly on the basic nightstand I’m building. I’ve glued up both of the sides and put them in clamps to dry for the night. Tomorrow I’ll put the other apron boards in as well as the bottom shelf. Then It’s just some finishing work. I’m still trying to decide what type of finish to use. I like to keep wood looking its natural color, so I might not use any stain at all.
I have just about finished the bench. As it is right now, everything is functioning and I have moved it over to the actual work area. Tasks completed include:1) Mounted clips on the stretcher for the face clamps;2) Drilled holes in the bars of the face clamps so they can be adjusted with speed pins;3) Milled and mounted the drop-in clamping blocks for the tail vice clamps (used in the well);4) Cut and mounted the planing wedge to the front rail. Here are the pics.I don’t have a pic of...
I have an update on the bench. The top is completed and I’m nearing the home stretch. I’m already starting to come up with ideas for special uses/jigs for the inserts in the well… I measured and drilled the holes for the end supports of the well and then threaded my pipe stock and checked for level. I also cut the blocks that are moved when you need to adjust the lateral clamps and positioned them above each leg and the center support. I laid in the MDF panels to make sur...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1742 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 107 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 79 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1767 entries
- dbhost - 420 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- mafe - 304 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 246 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 220 entries
- robscastle - 218 entries
- Dave Rutan - 214 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 194 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 190 entries