When we last left off, I was about to glue up the first cabinet door. Here it is clamped and drying: Here’s a detail (the wet marks at the left are just from wiping out glue – they dried up and disappeared): And because time-lapse videos are so fun, here’s the glue-up of the second door: And now the finished doors. Well… finished gluing together. Now there’s still sanding and coats of whatever I decide to use. I’ve been thinking of de...
I got the casters on yesterday, cutting some scrap wood board to fit along the edges inside the bottom, and joining them in with pocket hole screws from underneath. Extra sturdy now, and the wheels are all in plane with each other. I wasn’t sure how tall they were, and it was critical, as I was designing this to be as high as possible, while still fitting comfortably under my work table. I have Rockler’s digital height gauge, and it showed me they were all exactly 2.5” (actu...
I was wandering through a Dupont Company Salvage outlet in Wilmington Area of Delaware and I spied a box full of paper clamps. Those of you who work in office buildings are familiar with them. They are used to hold a lot of pages together. I’ve used rubber bands for clamps before and I thought these would work. Work they do. I’m using these to clamp some face boards on my drawers fronts under construction. Available (at least in my box) in three sizes. 1/4”, ...
From my blog: Christopher Schwarz made a terrific presentation at the Berea Hand Tool Conference in November: Forgotten Workbenches and Workholding. During his presentation Chris covered workholding (it will appear in the videos for Parts 2 and 3 on this blog). As a result of this presentation, I started doing some serious thinking about my European style workbench, and how I could improve clamping of work pieces when hand cutting dovetails, clamping jigs in place, etc. The existing ...
I’ve finally started the final assembly on the basic nightstand I’m building. I’ve glued up both of the sides and put them in clamps to dry for the night. Tomorrow I’ll put the other apron boards in as well as the bottom shelf. Then It’s just some finishing work. I’m still trying to decide what type of finish to use. I like to keep wood looking its natural color, so I might not use any stain at all.
I have just about finished the bench. As it is right now, everything is functioning and I have moved it over to the actual work area. Tasks completed include:1) Mounted clips on the stretcher for the face clamps;2) Drilled holes in the bars of the face clamps so they can be adjusted with speed pins;3) Milled and mounted the drop-in clamping blocks for the tail vice clamps (used in the well);4) Cut and mounted the planing wedge to the front rail. Here are the pics.I don’t have a pic of...
I have an update on the bench. The top is completed and I’m nearing the home stretch. I’m already starting to come up with ideas for special uses/jigs for the inserts in the well… I measured and drilled the holes for the end supports of the well and then threaded my pipe stock and checked for level. I also cut the blocks that are moved when you need to adjust the lateral clamps and positioned them above each leg and the center support. I laid in the MDF panels to make sur...
For everyone who wanted updates as I go along on this project. Enjoy! Out of the clamps. An idea of size. A little re-design. Cut out. Ready for beveling the edges.
Last week I finished drilling many holes for the sides of the well. These included the holes for the clamping bars as well as the pilot holes and countersinks for the confirmat screws. This took a bit of time because of all the measuring and trial and error positioning to ensure I didn’t make any major mistakes since the FWW plans were subject to interpretation and my sketchup plans (last entry) were a little inaccurate regarding the size of the clamping bars. It paid off though. For ...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1038 parts
- Extremely Average - 325 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 85 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Just for Fun... - 72 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Workshop Development - 64 parts
- 52 Weeks - 52 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1060 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 384 entries
- Ecocandle - 326 entries
- dbhost - 318 entries
- Martin Sojka - 294 entries
- Karson - 288 entries
- MsDebbieP - 283 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- William - 210 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Stevinmarin - 197 entries
- mafe - 186 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 182 entries
- Rustic - 182 entries
- PurpLev - 159 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 146 entries
- scottb - 144 entries
- kosta - 144 entries