As I mentioned earlier, the main focus of this build is based on limited space. I like the idea of a multi-function tool. After watching the videos mentioned in the first post of this blog, I knew a mini-bench would be perfect. I also decided that the lower half should also serve a purpose as well, hence the toolbox. Here is a look at the first few drawings I did. I have to say, Sketch Up has made this project much easier. Once I had a basic form to my liking, I started adding in the de...
Why buy it when you can build it? That’s my motto. Every woodworker is going to need clamps. I knew I would need some for my bench… especially when gluing up the top. Speed clamps and pipe clamps are great if you can afford them, but everywhere I read I see you can’t have too many clamps… Well until Angelina Jolie decides to adopt me too, I’m going to have to do it another way. I found an article in an old Popular Mechanics magazine showing how to build ...
This my second installment of my shop build. Last week I made a lumber rack and to fill the other blank part of that wall, I have constructed the simplest style of clamp racks. They are modular and super simple to make. They accommodate pipe clamps and bar clamps. There is also a bracket to hold the hand clamps, c-clamps, and band clamp. Watch the link below for full details on how to make you own modular clamp racks that can be moved anywhere in the shop. Thank you for watching and Don&...
How can you resist. You’re in Harbor Freight, and there is a bin of clamps for something like $1.99. Now this was several years ago, so don’t quote me on the price, but they were cheap. First thing you have to do is replace the pin that rotates the handle. Its not a big issue, just a bit of an annoyance. Then the tip winds up breaking off under pressure. I’ve got several in my clamp bucket like this. i So today I discovered one more way to extend the life...
For the pictures, click here. After returning from the Bahamas, I had a long list of projects and ideas that needed some attention. But I discovered that finding other stuff to do first is almost inherent in operating a woodshop. Case in point—-I needed to work on a mirror frame that we had planned to create from trim. Sounds simple enough, just measure and cut the trim and stain and install, right? Well, I decided I wanted to cut the miters by hand. I have a miter saw and a m...
I haven’t been blogging much lately – too busy. But I have made progress on the shop as you will see if you read this and the next blog I got tired of tripping over my clamps and having them all over the shop. I saw a couple of clamp racks on the web that looked good. Initially, I was going to go with one that was very simple but used a fair amount of wall space. Then I saw one that Stumpy Nubs created. I thought the general idea was good, so I copied his. Actually, I bou...
For all the evidence—-I mean pictures——please click here. As the title says, things didn’t go exactly as planned with the hammer the past couple days. I tried my best but it just didn’t work out as I imagined. Here’s what happened. Best pull up a chair and get some popcorn. It started after the handle was finally cut free from the excess wood. I decided to put all the pieces together and see if I like the general shape and weight of the mallet. H...
To view the post with pictures, please click here. Had to start sometime I guess! I didn’t do a whole heck of a lot. More like prep work, I figure. First, I took my 1×6 plank of pine and cut two 36” lengths. The bench is just a hair over 36” tall so the vise will be just off the floor. Next, I drew out the design I wanted. Nothing too fancy, just a slight curve (I drew it without a compass or round object) and a few straight lines. I decided since I will b...
To see the picture heavy version of this post, please click here! Very excited today because I got a lot accomplished! I ended with a dry fit of the entire bench and started work on the leg vise. To get started, I finished sawing the bridle joint on the last leg…best cuts to date! Straight as an arrow!When the last legs were cut, I grabbed the rubber mallet and chisels and hacked out the joints in about 10 minutes. So much faster than before! Sharp chisels are a joy to wor...
For the pictures, please click here. I had some time this morning with kids out playing with chalk in the driveway to make some winding sticks for when I level the top (hopefully this week!). I had some 1×2 dimensional poplar left over from a project that was never used (8 feet of it sitting in the garage taunting me to make something out it). So I found the two ends were the straightest and cut 2’ off each end.Then I used a chisel to bevel the edges slightly. I tried to fi...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1742 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 105 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 79 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1767 entries
- dbhost - 418 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- mafe - 304 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 245 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 220 entries
- robscastle - 218 entries
- Dave Rutan - 213 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 193 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 190 entries