After turning a bowl recently from a solid chunk of log, I thought it might be interesting to try my hand at a segmented bowl. After researching the procedures, I figured I better start with a clamping system to glue the stacked rings. There are a wide variety of clamping devices listed on the various turning sites but they are all discrete units. In my little shop, there just is not any more room for an additional piece. I am at the point where when something comes in- something else has to ...
Design Considerations Watch this video to explore design considerations. Solid wood case construction must take into account wood movement. Wood expands and contracts across the grain and does not along the length of the grain. When wood is glued across grain over a long span, it will split when it contracts. NOTE: The drawer frames and the back are all pre-assembled. The back is a mortise and tenon frame which contains six floating solid-wood panels. Clamping rehearsal withou...
Here are some little tricks you can use when you are trying to clamp something bigger or longer than your available clamps. ‘Joining’ clamps: Sometimes it is possible to simply clamp one clamp to another, with their business (working) dogs to the outside of your work as with pipe clamps, but in the case of door clamps this is hard or impossible to do since you can not rotate the dogs of the clamps. Once neat solution is to use a piece of scrap as a ‘joiner’, sandwiching it between the c...
I ran into a situation where my clamping needs exceeded my clamp capacities. I did a quick video to share my solution because it might help someone else in their shop. This video is “quick & dirty” because I wanted to try recording it on my iPhone. I don’t see myself doing that again, but the information is still good and clear. I hope you find it helpful. Your friend in the shop, Todd A. Clippinger Share the Love ~ Share the Knowledge
Let me start by giving a brief overview of my shop, or the thing I like to call my shop. My “shop” is an 8’x8’ shed that sits in my back yard with an extension cord, or sometimes two, ran out to it from the house. Lets face it, the thing is a mess! I can’t hardly do anything in there! I have 2 workbenches and a whole mess of shelves with no real way to organize anything. One workbench has my scroll saw, drill press, and band saw on it. The other is where I do ev...
preambleFirst off, this is my understanding [opinion] of some aspects of clamping pressure. Emphasis on “my” and emphasis on “opinion”. Which should be obvious, this is a blog after all. But a large part of why i’m writing this is so that you can tell me if i’m wrong. There seems to be a lot of misunderstanding surrounding clamping pressure. And many times an understanding of what’s going on, rather than a set of absolute instructions, is helpful...
Here’s a great tip on using up those scrap pieces of plywood. If you like this video, we have new ones every Thurdays on our youtube channel.
This last weekend was spent setting up the process for assembly and glue up. I had not expected I would spend this much time coming up with a glue up solution. Still, this was a fun puzzle to solve. The first step was to remove the masking tape. It took a while to peel of tape from all 244 tenons! One concern I had with clamping pre-finished parts was damaging the finish. In past times I have had the texture of any padding end up imprinting into the finish. I decided to use a smooth...
Time to glue up. Since I painstakingly fit each tenon to it’s matching mortise, I was fairly confident that glue-up would go ok. To solve the short clamp issue, I went down to the hardware store & got some couplers to hook pipes together to get more length out of my pipe clamps. Also, I borrowed some longer parallel clamps from a friend – and I’m glad he had them! I did a dry assembly & everything worked great. It was a little tricky to do by myself, but I g...
Today was an all shop day, and it was a productive one. I clamped the body back together carefully. And of course filled some unwanted gaps, but less then I expected. It clamped together well, doing one side at a time just to make sure I was getting the best fit. Sanding was also needed to account for the displacement of material from the band saw blade when it was cut apart. I chose not to glue the roof on just for more simplicity when adding more interior components. The seat...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1367 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Just for Fun... - 84 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1390 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 393 entries
- dbhost - 389 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- mafe - 228 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 190 entries
- Rustic - 185 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- shipwright - 180 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 166 entries
- PurpLev - 163 entries
- stefang - 158 entries