So far so good, there are no surprises. No cracks or breaks. As you recall from my previous blog post the vise will not turn. There is no sense of restoring the vise if you can get to move. So this blog is about getting the screw to turn.I searched for woodworking Columbian vise information. There don’t seem to be much. What I have found so far are mostly pictures and mounting information, but not the details that I am after. Hopefully I am correct in my selection of words in describin...
I just got back from a woodworking tool estate sale. There were many good buys. I would of purchase a lot more but ran out of money. I spotted this woodworking vise and noticed that it is a quick release. I already got an old vice for the workbench that I am currently building, but it is not a quick release. I thought I would give it a go. I am taking a chance in buying a vise that wouldn’t turn. For $25.00, I don’t think it is much of a gamble. Here’s what I have foun...
I set aside the me I decided to use some scraps of Ipé from the deck that was built a couple years ago to finally build that bench, to sit on top of said deck. Here is a sketchup snapshot of part of the design; And a few of work in progress. I cut the butt-swoop in the top of the ‘ribs’ on the bandsaw. I cut the dadoes in the rail to fit the seat supports w/a router, then drilled holes for walnut dowels.I tried use the best SS screws I had, but the 1st one snapped, and ...
In this final section of the Wine Cork Display Tutorials I will show you how I cut and glue in the miter keys. Larger Picture Version LJ Project of Finished Displays Here you can see my miter key jig. Since I cut so many miter keys for the wine cork displays and the boxes I make, I decided that a nice, large, dedicated jig would save me a lot of time. It works really well, I’ve used the heck out it. The first thing I do is figure out how far from the edge I want my keys to...
This project is half finished – Literally I mean. I figured since I’ll be working on the drawers, and the toolcart is in the basement it’ll get dirty, and oily finger marks might penetrate the wood and no sanding in the world will take those out, so I decided to finish the cabinet and protect it from the ‘elements’ around…. and boy did I get struck out by one of those elements… but more about that later. And so I gave the cabinet a good sanding wit...
Well, with the boards for the top cut to rough length and rough thickness, and the general layout for the top decided on, it’s time to start squaring up the lumber and getting ready to glue the top all together. I started out with jointing one face and one edge flat and square on the 6” general jointer. I set up a roller stand to the exact height on both the infeed and outfeed side. It’s time consuming, but squaring all the lumber is probably the single most important step i...
With incouragement from other Lumberjocks I decided to blog on the progress of my canoe project. As you will see I have built the strongback, mounted the forms, and pretty much started stripping with pine. These pics and vids were done with my ipod so they’re not the best. Future pics will be done with my wifes Canon. I also want to include a video I posted on youtube about a week before posting my project on L.J. http://youtu.be/VglA5C-YP4w
The build of the virtual pinball machine is coming right around. The lower part of the machine is mostly done with the exception of some button and ventilation holes will need to be added. Here are some pictures of the assembly… The hardest part of this cabinet for me was the miter cuts where the sides meet the front. I did it this way for aesthetic purposes since the cabinet would have no trim I don’t want to see the plywood edges. Here is a picture of the final...
I am thinking of making a wooden fixture to hold the work piece when doing relief carving. I am trying to work around several constraints. For example, I really do not have access to the tools and equipment in my shop at the moment, so I am thinking of using common lumber that can be obtained from the local Home Depot or similar big box store. Also moving around the work is a hassel with my broken leg, so I would like to be able to be able to quickly rotate the work piece. This makes m...
I was able to figure out why the piece of plywood was not square to the other piece of the A-frame. It turned out that one of the angled wedges at the bottom was a little long and needed to be trimmed. The plywood was already in place and I didn’t feel like unclamping and lifting it off. I used my dozuki and trimmed a thin line between the wedge and ply and after fishing the sliver out from underneath I was able to pound the sheet down into place. I used a level and a framing square to ...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1182 parts
- Extremely Average - 325 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 87 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Just for Fun... - 80 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 67 parts
- Workshop Development - 65 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1204 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 387 entries
- dbhost - 331 entries
- Ecocandle - 326 entries
- MsDebbieP - 299 entries
- Martin Sojka - 297 entries
- Karson - 292 entries
- William - 249 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- mafe - 201 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 187 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- Rustic - 183 entries
- PurpLev - 162 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 159 entries
- shipwright - 158 entries
- scottb - 144 entries