Not sure how to start this, i’ve never done a blog before and i’m not the best at writing/speaking LOL. So here goes. Many years ago my grandpa made a coffee table for us, i’ve been trying to figure it out and my best guess is between the years of 1972-1974. It has passed through all our family at one point or another, but the last several years its been in storage because its a hard table to make work in ones living area. You see its very large about 6’ long to be ...
Having cut all the timber it was time to do something with it! I assembled the tops, and sides, minus the trim, using pocket hole screws and glue, sanded them with 80 grit, until they are all level, next I attached the trim, before continuing the sanding. I also sanded the side trim and the legs. Then it was time to start the build, things went together, but not as smoothly as I would have liked. There were a lot of pocket holes to be drilled, all on the inside, so none of th...
I always enjoy seeing slightly different designs in old bar clamps. These two were found on eBay. The top one looks like the seller put the moveable stops on the wrong way though. Wait, Stops? Plural? I guess the seller really doesn’t know and put two stops on one clamp. The bottom one reminds me quite a lot of the pair I made a while ago. If I could make wooden threads, maybe I’d go into manufacturing these, aging them and putting them up. Shipping would be murder, plus most...
Having a shortage of bench space, I decided that I needed to create a space for the bench grinder, and not wanting to damage any walls in the apartment, I decided a dedicated Grinder Stand was called for, but not away floor storage space. After hunting for a while, I found what I was looking for on Woodstore.net it hardly reduced the floor space at all. To make this you only need half a sheet of 3/4” plywood, I used pine, as it was cheaper, and some scraps of birch ply for the top...
In the previous installment I prepped the wood and glued it up. This time it’s a little after prep, box joints, and glue up. With the biscuit joiner the glue ups became pretty well aligned. I had to do just a little planing and scraping.. .The the old reliable ROS and mirk sandpaper to it. I find it easier to pre sand panels before assembly. Then redo and finish them up after. .After a little thinking, I made a box joint jig for my router. The sides are 3/4” thick and the...
Here is the remainder of the yellow pine that I need for my workbench. I had decided to give this thing legs and a skirt (hmm, sounds bad I know – hey maybe it’s a Scottish bench? LOL). The 2 X 12 was for the skirts on the front and the back, and the 2 X 8’s were for leg stretchers. I had 6 pieces of center ripped 2 X 10’s left over from making the top that I could use to make the legs. Still deciding whether to make a regular workbench or stay with my original plan of...
Well, rested up most of the day. Towards evening, got a bit busy down in the Dungeon Shop. Decided to try to mill some tenons on the three main aprons. The two sides and the back one. The front will get something a bit different…tomorrow. Laid out some lines on the ends of an apron. Set up the #78 to take maybe a 1/2” wide by a hair under 1/4” deep cut…Couple clamps to hold the board still, while I scrubbed away the waste. Found out that I needed to #1:...
Since I built my sawmill a year or so ago, I’ve had one major problem. Getting logs here to mill.I tried using my log arch but, with a 24” diameter log on it, there is no fun at all in pulling it on the highway with a big log, “just a swingin” behind you, held by a couple of straps, on a trailer with no springs. I’ve tried pulling them on the trailer and then pulling them off, but that way tearing up my trailer. My trailer is a 20 footer, abou...
So, if you’re reading along, you know I have some so-so 2X4’s acclimating in my shop, that I have to turn into clamp cauls, so I can hopefully glue my table top together. Let the boards sit in the shop on stickers for 5 days to acclimate hoping they recover some. The twist and bow issues are reduced by half, but still makes for more work than I wanted. It’s summer in Arizona now, my open air garage shop was 100-105 last two afternoons. So I can only get a couple of h...
A local cabinet shop is going out of business and is selling every thing. They also tried at one point to retail lumber but the local market was not there. So, today I picked up these lumber items:Mahogany – 8/4×5 1/2” x 10’Cherry – 4/4×11” x 9’Lacewood – (3) 4/4×5”x 6’Paduk – (2) 4/4×7” x 8’Curly Maple – 4/4×5” x 8’Makore – 6/4×1...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1696 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 92 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 69 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1721 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- dbhost - 403 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- mafe - 287 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 232 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- stefang - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 204 entries
- robscastle - 196 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 191 entries
- Dave Rutan - 191 entries
- Rustic - 190 entries