My youngest daughter is getting married in September. I’ve decided long ago that i’d make each (I’ve got two) a bridal chest when that time came. Well it’s here and I’m doing it. I’ve made blanket chests before but they’ve been made with raised panels. This one is much simpler. Almost Shaker in nature for the design. It will have large finger or box joints at the corners. I think I’ll make a simple jig for my router to accomplish that. It will b...
I started by using 1/2” birch veneer ply to build the sides. I cut three 1/2” dados along each side 1/4” deep for the shelves and base and the cut the shelves to measure and glued the all in place. The top I lapped over 1/2” on each side and 1” to the front to accommodate the door and drawer fronts.
and maybe another table to build?Piled up the “supplies” on the bench. Found a couple other boards as well A couple short 2×4s (legs?) and some assorted 1xs. Those long things in back? Are a couple 3/4” x 6” x 120-1/2” planks of pine. Took the cleaned up 2×4 x36” out of the vise, cleared the benchtop of the rest. Placed the Gray 2×4 x 48” in the vise to joint both edges. Will do the rest of it after it is cut down to le...
Not sure how to start this, i’ve never done a blog before and i’m not the best at writing/speaking LOL. So here goes. Many years ago my grandpa made a coffee table for us, i’ve been trying to figure it out and my best guess is between the years of 1972-1974. It has passed through all our family at one point or another, but the last several years its been in storage because its a hard table to make work in ones living area. You see its very large about 6’ long to be ...
I always enjoy seeing slightly different designs in old bar clamps. These two were found on eBay. The top one looks like the seller put the moveable stops on the wrong way though. Wait, Stops? Plural? I guess the seller really doesn’t know and put two stops on one clamp. The bottom one reminds me quite a lot of the pair I made a while ago. If I could make wooden threads, maybe I’d go into manufacturing these, aging them and putting them up. Shipping would be murder, plus most...
Having a shortage of bench space, I decided that I needed to create a space for the bench grinder, and not wanting to damage any walls in the apartment, I decided a dedicated Grinder Stand was called for, but not away floor storage space. After hunting for a while, I found what I was looking for on Woodstore.net it hardly reduced the floor space at all. To make this you only need half a sheet of 3/4” plywood, I used pine, as it was cheaper, and some scraps of birch ply for the top...
In the previous installment I prepped the wood and glued it up. This time it’s a little after prep, box joints, and glue up. With the biscuit joiner the glue ups became pretty well aligned. I had to do just a little planing and scraping.. .The the old reliable ROS and mirk sandpaper to it. I find it easier to pre sand panels before assembly. Then redo and finish them up after. .After a little thinking, I made a box joint jig for my router. The sides are 3/4” thick and the...
Here is the remainder of the yellow pine that I need for my workbench. I had decided to give this thing legs and a skirt (hmm, sounds bad I know – hey maybe it’s a Scottish bench? LOL). The 2 X 12 was for the skirts on the front and the back, and the 2 X 8’s were for leg stretchers. I had 6 pieces of center ripped 2 X 10’s left over from making the top that I could use to make the legs. Still deciding whether to make a regular workbench or stay with my original plan of...
Well, rested up most of the day. Towards evening, got a bit busy down in the Dungeon Shop. Decided to try to mill some tenons on the three main aprons. The two sides and the back one. The front will get something a bit different…tomorrow. Laid out some lines on the ends of an apron. Set up the #78 to take maybe a 1/2” wide by a hair under 1/4” deep cut…Couple clamps to hold the board still, while I scrubbed away the waste. Found out that I needed to #1:...
Since I built my sawmill a year or so ago, I’ve had one major problem. Getting logs here to mill.I tried using my log arch but, with a 24” diameter log on it, there is no fun at all in pulling it on the highway with a big log, “just a swingin” behind you, held by a couple of straps, on a trailer with no springs. I’ve tried pulling them on the trailer and then pulling them off, but that way tearing up my trailer. My trailer is a 20 footer, abou...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1598 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 96 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- ScrollSaw Information and Resources - 68 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1623 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- mafe - 279 entries
- William - 258 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- shipwright - 218 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 199 entries
- stefang - 198 entries
- Rustic - 188 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 187 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 176 entries