The reason of delaying posting any upgrades on this blog was simply a matter of another shop move.Unfortunately the guy with whom we shared that big space backed-out, so I had to find another space and move on.Finally I did found a space good enough for my needs and settled down to set-up my small workshop. The space has 2 levels, at the ground level there’s the workshop,a small kitchen and a WC, the top level is mainly converted to a paint booth and drying room. The total space is 70m2 or ab...
Well, with the boards for the top cut to rough length and rough thickness, and the general layout for the top decided on, it’s time to start squaring up the lumber and getting ready to glue the top all together. I started out with jointing one face and one edge flat and square on the 6” general jointer. I set up a roller stand to the exact height on both the infeed and outfeed side. It’s time consuming, but squaring all the lumber is probably the single most important step i...
Some lessons are learned the hard way. I bought a warped piece of Sapelle. I mean really warped. I thought that the little tiny pieces I needed would not be affected by a warped piece. Good lord was I ever wrong! Here’s the sorrier news. I didn’t ask the store for a price break. I just said with a real confident aire “No problem at all! It will work just fine!” Every single gap in the top of the table was due to the fact that I could not make precise cuts to the sev...
I put this in a forum a few days ago and wanted to add it here for everyone. I am on the mailing list for a local auction company that specialises in estate auctions. They have a sale comeing up on Oct 31st and Nov 7th that has at least 9 Shopsmiths in it. They will be selling at least 3 of the Shopsmiths on the Oct 31st day and the rest on Nov 7th. Here is a link for pics of the sale items. http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewPicture&friendID=423752127&...
Those few of you that follow my mere attempts to be a wood worker will know I have fun doing it no matter how the project turns out. Whether it works out great or an failed attempt. Or whether it is a biggish project like the coffin or a small one like the cribbage board. Having the right tools for the job can make things so much easier, yes I will agree with that statement. However as we all know you don’t always have the right tool or all the tools you require or want to have in yo...
I’ve made a lot of progress on this project, but I’ve been so busy since the kids got out of school for the summer, that I haven’t had much computer time lately to update my blog. Here I have the three piece legs glued up and I’m testing the fit of the tenons. In this photo, I’ve finished the sanding all the parts, have the tenons glued into the legs, and have the panels installed. Now they are starting to look like planters. One of the changes I ma...
Started the glue-up yesterday, finished it today. Yesterday: I started by checking the fit for all the pieces. First up, the panels. And they don’t fit, which was expected. The groove has round ends while the panel is square: A few ways to fix this, but I picked up the mortise chisel and mallet to square off the ends of the grooves. The panels fit now The panel was a pretty tight fit, but I can address that later. Glued tenons into the first rail And then the rail into...
https://youtu.be/9xRjNLqAnF4 In this video I show you how I built a clamp rack to organize my parallel clamps.
Well, Landlord WAS coming over to finish the painting upstars…..fell asleep. he will TRY to get over here in the morning….he says. Wandered down to the shop, to see what sort of trouble I could get into…. Had three parts to make tenons on….two had curved sides. Might be a bit tricky to clamp in the end vise? I picked out a scrap of walnut from when I sawed the curved parts. Had to trim the ends back a bit.. So I could clear the “work area”...
The weather here in Colombia is such that, even when it is winter it remains at least warm, we have no heating, and drying clothes, bedding etc. is no problem, we have a covered drying area outside, but after a shower, my towel until now, has been draped over anything available upstairs, where it has dried but looked unsightly, it was time to do something about it. I pondered on design, as I had some 1”dowel and plywood, but in the end went with trusty 2×4!! For the first time I...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1742 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 105 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 79 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1767 entries
- dbhost - 418 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- mafe - 304 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 246 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 220 entries
- robscastle - 218 entries
- Dave Rutan - 213 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 193 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 190 entries