Turns out the next step is making the back rail, clamping it to the glued up sides, and then clamping in a spacer in order to cut out the dovetails for the top, front rail. The back rail was relatively straightforward. I joint with a plane. It is a great feeling when you get those long shavings at the end of the process. I also like the impossibly thin shavings you get when using the smoother on the face. Clamped together and ready for the next step.
I debated where to put this, then decided to stick with my Blog! I had a makeshift lumber rack made out of an old prison bunk-bed frame, it did it’s job, but it took up too much space, then last week I watched Jay Bates from Jays Custom Creations, construct a simple lumber rack made from 2×4s and metal conduit on YouTube, and that spurred me on to build a new rack. I hitched up the trailer and went off to Homecenter, bought a stack of 2×4s and some other timber for othe...
I know that many people have modified the HF-DC but I just wanted to put my spin out there. I have been doing a lot of research on the many different styles of updates/modifications that have been done and holy cow there are a lot. But, most of them rely on the Thien principle that seems to be pretty simple. On the Thien blog there is a guy that tests and records many different modifications with different setups. I am going to set-out to make my entire system buying the least amount as p...
I have been full of good intentions, but something always seems to crop up to stop the bigger projects getting under way, however I think I am clear to get started on rebuilding the kiosko / gazebo. It was my intention to get under way last week, but we had to have a couple of Mango trees removed, one at the front and another at the back of the house, for fruit trees they were big, taller than the house, and that was a worry, because I didn’t want any damage done to the house whilst fel...
Getting maybe an hour or two a day on this chest. Baby steps? Got a second front/back panel out of the clamps. and standing on it’s own two little feet. and set the first one nearby Yep, gonna be a wee bit bigger than the first chest. Then some work got started on the ends I got the parts for the frame milled up/down. Needed to run a corded router to make the 3/8×3/8” grooves. Was getting close to done when the cutter snapped off. Hmm, only have one ...
Last time I posted on that project I was steam bending my mouldings. The columned were veneered in a previous post. Since this post we had another job to do a video on veneering column with Liquid Hide Glue that we posted on our Old Brown Glue playlist on youtube. It is uploading at the moment so go see it later if you are interested in learning how to veneer columns, we are pretty proud of it. The columns were turned with groves to allow for black rings. T...
Because woodworking is a hobby, I only get an hour or two a night (at most) in the shop on weekdays, and I travel a fair bit, so sometimes progress is a bit slow. Tonight I did a fair amount of cleaning in the shop (the spray of wood chips from flattening the boards went everywhere). The most important task was setting up the crosscut. As you can probably tell, I feel like this is the single most important task of the entire project, so I am taking it slowly. Tonight I drew the line to ...
My nephew didn’t want any more pics to go up until he had a chance to show it to his mother and grandmother (my sister), so I haven’t posted any update. However, since today was return to home day, all may be revealed. After finishing the main box, he cut and glued four cleats to the underside of the top. He clamped up the front and back cleats first, and then snuck up on the length of side cleats. They fit perfectly. I guess I didn’t take any pictures of him cuttin...
I’m tired of seeing all these moxon vises and not making my own. They are pretty expensive. I really need something to act as a front vise on my bench. This takes care of that problem and it also raises any cutting that i’ll be doing by 7 1/2” (which helps out the back). Here is my version of the moxon vise using two pipe clamps. Check out the video. Please subscribe to my channel and check out all the other videos on there.
Building a Ditty Box--first project for my nephew #3: Mortising the old fashioned way and a first panel glue-up
We’ve continue on in the project. After crosscutting his first board by hand—getting him comfortable with hand sawing—He did a some rough crosscuts on the miter saw and some finer ones with the crosscut sled on the table saw. Here is his first cut on the miter saw. His commitment to doing the cuts safely is really comforting. The box has a small divided shelf held in place by mortises in the box. We’re doing them the old-fashioned way so he can learn to use ch...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1507 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 93 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1531 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 394 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- mafe - 252 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- shipwright - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 199 entries
- stefang - 186 entries
- Rustic - 186 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 177 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 165 entries