After getting the 3rd 8” section glued up to complete the bench top, I went to bed, letting it sit in the clamps all night. The next morning, my son and I moved the top onto my old bench so that I could start flattening it. That’s when I realized that the glue-surface face of the last section, while flat, was angled. I was in such a rush (ie: excitement) to get it clamped up that I didn’t realize the problem when I glued it up. Part of the problem was that I didn’t fla...
There were points in this process that I didn’t think I’d get this far. I took some vacation time and spent the past few days trying to get the top finished up. My goal was to have it completely glued up before the first of the year. I’m glad to say that despite a few set backs, I’m a week ahead of my goal. Not only is it a big motivational factor in a long bench building process, but it’ll also allow me to take a few days off to let my achy planing / sawing m...
Still hard at work putting the top together. I recently upgraded the blade in my vintage Stanley #7 jointer plane with an IBC Pinnacle blade / chipbreaker. This made a HUGE difference in dimensioning the boards and getting the faces flat for glue ups. I decided to glue it up in 3 sections each 8” wide. Then one final glue up of those 3 sections for a final full width of 24”. The pieces being glued up for the top top are 61”; which will be trimmed to 60” after the en...
In this final section of the Wine Cork Display Tutorials I will show you how I cut and glue in the miter keys. Larger Picture Version LJ Project of Finished Displays Here you can see my miter key jig. Since I cut so many miter keys for the wine cork displays and the boxes I make, I decided that a nice, large, dedicated jig would save me a lot of time. It works really well, I’ve used the heck out it. The first thing I do is figure out how far from the edge I want my keys to...
Well it finally wamed up enough around here to do some glue ups. I got my feet made and glued up, and attached them to the base. Then I routed the edge of the base, and made the transition moulding and glued that. Now a mother cold front has come through, and it looks like it might freeze tonight!! Good thing I got busy in the shop yesterday. I also went to Clark’s for some secondary lumber. It must have been my lucky day Saturday!! When I arrived at Clark’s, first thing ...
RIGHT CLICK ON THE PICTURE, CLICK ON ” OPEN IN NEW TAB ” TO SEE THE FULL PICTURE.First, make leg template.Cut stockRound over one edge, 2 left, 2 right.Using table saw, make your spline cut.Cut your splines and check for fit. This is what you should end up with.Start laying out your leg build up.Make sure your build up clears the template.Glue it up.Line up the template with your stock and trace it.Cut it out on the band saw.Cut both sides on that face then tape the scrap back on ...
My First Real Attempt at a project. A shaker end Table #4: The Table Tops!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This is the first of the two table tops that I have to do. I used a tounge and grove joint and have the first one in the clamps. The first table top. The next table top layed out to show joints. The toungs on the center board. I thought it would look better if the center board had the tounges only. The grove of the left table edges. The right is the exact same thing, just with it on the other side.
One of the things I’m most thankful for about this project is all the lessons I’m learning, relearning, and getting a new appreciation for. Dimensioning the boards for the top 100% by hand has proven to be a lot of work, but I’m loving every bit of it. Planing these boards has been a real challenge considering that they’re a foot longer than my current plywood + hardboard bench top. I’ve had to be creative and to attack that problem; finally coming up with a g...
Well in all reality me building my new workbench is going to have to wait. The reason that I am saying this is just because of the cost and I could possibley have my very first commission. When I say this I am talking about my local furniture shop is going to put a table that I am planning on making in their shop on consignment for me and help me get my name out there. When I talked to the owner of the shop, he said that if this peice looks really good to him and he can sell it and still make...
In this tutorial, I’ll show how I glue and assembly my wine cork displays. If you’re interested in a version with larger pictures, follow the link below: Bigger Picture Version Now that I’ve got my glass, I can begin the glue-up. However, I suggest sanding the inside first, one less thing to deal with later. I begin by laying my pieces down on my table with the inside facing down and the front facing away from me. I use a piece of MDF to make sure the front edges...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1541 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 94 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- ScrollSaw Information and Resources - 68 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1566 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 394 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- mafe - 268 entries
- William - 258 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- shipwright - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 199 entries
- stefang - 188 entries
- Rustic - 186 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 181 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 170 entries