Because I train and teach Gracie Jiu-Jitsu between 4 – 6 nights a week, I don’t get as much time in the shop as I’d like some times. We had a 3-day weekend this past weekend, but I wasn’t able to get any time in the shop on Saturday. Our head instructor came down from Hattiesburg for a seminar and that is an all-day affair with us all going out to eat afterwards and spending the evening hanging out around a fire in the back yard. I did get to put a good bit of time ...
Wow what a great year 2010 was! Had a fantastic year getting involved in woodworking. As the year came to a close I discovered some absolutely amazing prices on some tools I really wanted for my shop. from late November to today I have added some very useful tools that should help me get quite a bit of sawdust made in 2011. For the most part the items came from CL and folks that were in need of some extra Christmas money. It ended up being a win win for me and them. First purchase wa...
Ok, I’ve been busy with life and could only get to the violin as weather permitted, that is until I insulated the garage and installed an IR heat lamp which takes the chill off the air. This is the maple back. I’ve carved guides using templates I made out of aluminum. After aligning the guides to the plate surface it’s a simple matter of carving away the excess and blending. There are 6 templates. 1 through 5 are horizontal left to right with the last spanning the length....
I was able to get to the garage today as a request for a new shelf for the kitchen was in. While there I saw some cutoff pieces of mahogany that I had piled up from the past 2 projects, and saw 4 legs hidden in those waiting to come out to life. I had wanted to put legs on this box from the get go but wasn’t set on a design that I liked and was mentally blocked with it. I decided to make 3 1.5” x 1.5” x 1” legs and just chamfer the bottoms – just to have so...
Well it has been a long time since I added an entry to my blog so I thought that I would continue updating my progress on the two shaker end tables I am building. Now that I have a biscuit joiner and a dovetail jig I was able to make the drawers and have been doin pretty good. I have changed the design so I can cover up the end grain as best I could and decided to put on a walnut bread-board edge.The drawer sides and back have to put the pins in the front still and mill the grove for the bott...
This past week was very busy for me and I only managed an hour a night at best in the shop. I spent most of this early evening cutting a few sheets 3/4” plywood and putting it down as flooring in my attic over the new insulation I put down last weekend. I spent most of my shop time after climbing out of the attic cleaning up and sharpening a few plane blades (just got my first waterstones in from UPS today). I didn’t want to close up for the night without getting at least somet...
Originally, my legs were going to be 3-3/4” x 4-3/4”. After I got my top glued up, I decided that I wanted a little more beef in the legs. I had enough lumber left over that was already acclimated to my shop. I spent a little time yesterday dressing up the legs and put in a bit of time tonight getting the new pieces planed true and ready to add to the leg laminations. Because of my limited number of clamps, I was only able to get 3 of them glued up so far. Taking a break to wat...
After getting the 3rd 8” section glued up to complete the bench top, I went to bed, letting it sit in the clamps all night. The next morning, my son and I moved the top onto my old bench so that I could start flattening it. That’s when I realized that the glue-surface face of the last section, while flat, was angled. I was in such a rush (ie: excitement) to get it clamped up that I didn’t realize the problem when I glued it up. Part of the problem was that I didn’t fla...
There were points in this process that I didn’t think I’d get this far. I took some vacation time and spent the past few days trying to get the top finished up. My goal was to have it completely glued up before the first of the year. I’m glad to say that despite a few set backs, I’m a week ahead of my goal. Not only is it a big motivational factor in a long bench building process, but it’ll also allow me to take a few days off to let my achy planing / sawing m...
Still hard at work putting the top together. I recently upgraded the blade in my vintage Stanley #7 jointer plane with an IBC Pinnacle blade / chipbreaker. This made a HUGE difference in dimensioning the boards and getting the faces flat for glue ups. I decided to glue it up in 3 sections each 8” wide. Then one final glue up of those 3 sections for a final full width of 24”. The pieces being glued up for the top top are 61”; which will be trimmed to 60” after the en...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1196 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 87 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Just for Fun... - 81 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 67 parts
- Workshop Development - 66 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1218 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 388 entries
- dbhost - 332 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 301 entries
- Martin Sojka - 297 entries
- Karson - 294 entries
- William - 249 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- mafe - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 187 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- Rustic - 183 entries
- PurpLev - 162 entries
- shipwright - 160 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 159 entries
- stefang - 145 entries