Didn’t want to bore anyone with the rest of the drawer building. Right now, there are 4 drawers sitting in the case, with a coat of Witch’s Brew as a finish of sorts.. Witch’s Brew is nothing more than an old quart can, into which any leftover stains and varnishes wind up. Instead of a shelf full of almost empty cans, I have just the one. Went i am ready to use the Brew, I top it off with enough BLO to mix things together. anyway, I worked off and on today, tryin...
Ok, the first drawer needed a pair of handles installed.. Nothing fancy, just something I happened to have five pairs of. Noticed when I removed the drawer from the case, had a couple spots that needed more work, as the drawer was sticking, right at the back.. Plane is just a #4 sized smoother. Had a couple knots that wanted to bow the side out a bit, planed the spots down, and installed the drawer… Not too bad, now. lessons learned? Well, making things the correct si...
One down, four to go…Since I was in the area, I stopped at a Home Depot for a few boards…..At the prices they wanted, it will be just a few boards. I think I have enough to at least build three of the five drawers. So, did a bit of measuring, and a bit of crosscutting after I got home.. Wasn’t in the mood to use a handsaw, so this old, Vintage saw will have to do….went back upstairs for a while… Decided to at least test out a different “dovetail ...
I finally get to the end of the wood work and start finishing in this one. It is hard to believe there was so much to it. It was a long and challenging build and despite being very ruthless in cutting things out, there is still a ton of video. View on YouTube
And a frame for the top gets a start. Well, the other night, I snuck back down to the shop, meaning merely take the clamps off, and put the clamps away…...wound up doing a bit more. Once the clamps were off, I flipped the case onto it’s front. I used one pipe clamp to hold it onto the top of the bench. Didn’t want it to fall off onto the floor… Slapped the sheet of plywood in place, and marked out where to try the cuts at. Cordless circular saw was just...
Decided just to carry on, regardless of the camera “issues”. Had to clear things out a bit, so I could rotate the case. It is sitting on both the work bench, and the power tool bench. Needed a way to chop dovetail sockets, and being out in mid-air wasn’t going to work. One pipe clamp to keep things in place. Laid out some tools, to mark out the tails for the dovetail connection.. Combo square to mark a line 1/2” in from the end, then adjust to mark a lin...
I made these in anticipation of someday being tasked to repair cracks in violins. I made them from a, (or a few) Pend-A-flex hanger frames (one is shown above framing the three clamps.) The U-shaped part is threaded on both ends, while the straight bar has a threadable through hole in each end. I simply bent the frames into a C shape as small as possible on my machinists vise and fit either a 1/4 inch bolt or a #10 bolt in an appropriate hole. The smallest of the three I had to flatted th...
Well, I got all the frames done. Was stacking them up to get them out of the way…..and found a couple without the predrilled mounting holes done….PITA to do when everything is glued up. Got the first side up on the bench, and started attaching web-frames, using a framing square to keep things lined up.. Soon enough, had all the frames installed.. Then the fun part, I needed to get this mess OFF my bench, the second side ON my bench, and then the first side set on top. ...
Mainly setting up jigs and stops..and more jigs. Had a lot of parts to make, and half of them had to look like this, on one end. The trick was how to get them all done…quickly.. This is what I needed to make…times 24. I had 12 short rails that needed a tenon on both ends. This one was done the old, slow way. Needed something a little bit faster, and..have them all match each other. I used the “prototype” to help set a couple stops on the mitre box.. mainly...
Plus a few other chores were started. Corner posts were hit with the stanley 45’s sash cutter.. First I needed to joint and edge, and flatten the sawn face. Then run the sash cutter a bit. Then some lay-out work I transferred rail locations from side #1 to these posts, I also found the angle to cut the bottom foot detail.. One was a hair off, took care of that later, time for a LOT of chisel work.. tools used, amongst of things. Square, a mallet, and a bandaid..Got...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1828 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Toy costruction - 131 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 115 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 98 parts
- Woodworking on a Half-Shoestring - 91 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Shop stuff - 85 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 82 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1853 entries
- dbhost - 452 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 398 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- mafe - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- Dave Rutan - 276 entries
- robscastle - 263 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 258 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 233 entries
- bandit571 - 229 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries