Again I had different routes that I could have taken on the glue to use. I decided to go with regular yellow glue. It is more forgiving. If I would have laid the face down in one piece instead of an inlay, I may have used contact cement. Since the whales were fairly small I felt the yellow glue would work fine. I needed even and constent pressure on the entire piece. What I did was laid it down in this order. 2×4’s, substrate, glue, whale, wax paper, foam pad, plywood, 2...
Okay, I got approval form the customer and time to get started on the project. To pattern it I enlisted the services from a local sign company. They printed it up with the colors separated life size (life size to the bed not life size in the wild). They made me some mask to use as the pattern. Here is also the wood I choose to use. They are Quarter Sawn Walnut (dark color) and Lacewood (reddish color): These were masks so I was able to stick them to the veneer pieces. I cut them out...
A break from the normal murphy bed and switching gears to a twin four poster bed. I’m posting out of order, but here is the video of the post glue up. Video streaming by UstreamThe post will be 2 1/2” x 2 1/2” with a small chamfer on the edges to make an octagon look. I’m going to stop the chamfer on the inside where the post attach. This will allow my bracket room to mount. For more building pictures see my Current Projects link at wwbeds.com o...
I have the design, cut the veneer pieces and now it is time to put it on the face. I tossed around ideas on how I’d put it on the face. My first idea was to order a large sheet of maple veneer (background wood). Cut the whale into the it like I did the rest and then glue it all onto a substrate panel. What I ended up doing was using 3/4” maple plywood as the substrate and cut in the design. First I outlined the whale. I then went around the border with a chisel. This allo...
ALL ABOARD! Starting to build one of my train bed. This is what it will look like when I am finished. It will, of course, have a few customized changes requested by the customer, but overall will follow this pattern. I will blog about the steps in this series, but if you’d like to look forward I do post the pictures first on the Current Projects Page of my site. I’m usually a little slow on the write-up.
On Way Back Wednesday, I’m not going too far. In my span here it is. It is our Spanish Rose Four Poster. I built my first one about 10 years ago. At one time it was one of our biggest sellers. It was really our first production standard bed. Production as in I standardized the cut list and design to make it easier, quicker to build, and cheaper for the customer. It was a solid pine bed, built mostly form 2×10’s. The iron was a rose pattern made from cast iron. I really loved how I fin...
French Fry Friday is when I put a focus on those smaller accessories. This week I’m turning my attention to some small legs that I added to a recent murphy bed. I’ll write about the bed at a later day seeing that I’m about a month behind on posting projects, but I wanted to show off it’s legs. This project was one that was going to a bed and breakfast. They planned on using the bed in the down position and keeping it that way until the space was needed for an event. The then would rais...
Some associate veneers as being low quality and if you truly want quality go all solid. Really the opposite could be true. Veneers got a bad rap around the 60’s when cheap furniture was introduced into the market. There was delaminating, which is the lifting of the veneer, because of a bad process and gules. What is veneer? Veneer is a thinly sliced piece of wood glued onto a substrate or a another, usually manufactured, wood like MDF or plywood. With today’s technology these slices ca...
One of the things that I enjoy doing is giving my customer and friends a peek into my shop. I have a system that I’ve built up over the years. This system involves a few cameras mounted around the shop. Lately I’ve experienced a little bit of quality problems. I thought it may be just the camera getting, but come to find out it was old wiring (must be something to do about the change in temperature in the shop). I’ve got that resolved and now back up to 4 cameras (3 s...
I think I’m turning into a ship builder. I have built four “boat beds” over the last several months and working on an order for three of them now. More info on how to watch us build them below.Standard add portholes in April Changed headboard in June Pirate in June Pirate in July Now I’m building three for a customer. I have the parts cut out and will be building on them today. Watch the progress: For more building pictures see my Current Projects l...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1823 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Toy costruction - 131 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 115 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 98 parts
- Woodworking on a Half-Shoestring - 91 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 82 parts
- Shop stuff - 81 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1848 entries
- dbhost - 449 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- mafe - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- Dave Rutan - 273 entries
- William - 258 entries
- robscastle - 256 entries
- shipwright - 255 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 227 entries
- bandit571 - 224 entries
- stefang - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries