This project is a fine example of the 80/20 concept. it takes 20% of the project time to complete 80% of it, and then, 80% of the project time to finish the last 20% of the project. As it gets to the details, things take longer to think through, plan out, cut…mill…glue… and finesse. this time it’s the leg vise Chop, and although not completely finished (still need to trim, round off, and apply BLO), it’s construction is done. I was originally planning to us...
Well it was a longtime coming but I have finished the bench. I’ve been having an issue getting the main face vise to operate smoothly. It worked just fine when I had it mocked up, but once I added the final chop it was grabbing and binding. It took some trouble shooting to find the problem, but in the end the problem was me trusting that power tools can do an accurate finish job. More on that later. First I thought the problem was that the new chop was bigger and heavier. I thought th...
The leg vise chop’s wood is beech (I just have one big thick beech board and so I use it when I need some hardwood). .First some rough cuts: .Then cleaning up: (you can see here template I used to mark curves of the chop) (and this is my cleanup kit) .Ready for parallel guide mortise: .Parallel guide mortise: first saw cut then cleaning with the chisel (and a block of wood as a guide). .Dry fit: .Drawboring: .Closeups of drawboring results:...
First of all I just want to say that I love the term “sliding deadman”. I think it’s hilarious! As a forensics investigator for the Edmonton Police Service (a city nearing a million in population) I have seen my fair share of dead men, literally. But I have never seen one sliding! Not even in the cold, snowy, icy winters that we have. But I’ll bet that if I do, I will probably bust a gut laughing while thinking about the work holding device on my bench instead of whate...
To view the post with pictures, please click here. Had to start sometime I guess! I didn’t do a whole heck of a lot. More like prep work, I figure. First, I took my 1×6 plank of pine and cut two 36” lengths. The bench is just a hair over 36” tall so the vise will be just off the floor. Next, I drew out the design I wanted. Nothing too fancy, just a slight curve (I drew it without a compass or round object) and a few straight lines. I decided since I will b...
In this segment I assemble the right and left legs. I go over the half-blind dovetail and also the bridal joint. Thanks for checking it out!
To see the version with all the pictures (there’s a lot!) click here. I am forcing myself to finish this dadgum leg vise. I’m tired of seeing the parts sitting around and now that I’ve pretty much caught up with all the random tasks associated with the bench to get back to the next to last big project (last will be the sliding deadSven). I spent a little time touching up the beveled edges and getting things where I think I’m at as far as I can push my skills and...
Here’s the link to the post with pictures. Today I finally had enough of thinking and worrying about how to mount the leg vise. After all, once I drill that big hole through the leg, there’s no going back! I got out the Black and Decker Woodwrecker and a 5/8” paddle bit, then punched a hole in the chop for the threaded rod. Then i carefully lined up the chop exactly where I wanted it…leveled it and clamped it in place. I marked the spot on the leg where the hole...
For the version with pictures, please click here. I didn’t have much spare time today but what I did have I used to take care of the next couple steps in the leg vise drama. First I removed the threaded rod and hacked off about 6-8” worth from the end. The rod was just about 2” too long to allow the chop to fully close. Then I figured out how to mount a handle. It occurred to me while I was trying to remove the rod from the bench from the test fit. If I could car...
Please click here to see the version with pictures. I made some good progress for the 20 minutes I had to work on the bench today. I used the utility knife to chamber the edges of the two locking nut/wood discs I fabricated, then polished off the wood with 220 grit sandpaper for a nice smooth finish that didn’t end up overly round. I also got out the 3/8” paddle bit and started to hog out the slot for the support guide at the bottom of the leg vise. I ran out of time to...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1742 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 105 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 79 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1767 entries
- dbhost - 418 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- mafe - 304 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 246 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 220 entries
- robscastle - 218 entries
- Dave Rutan - 213 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 193 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 190 entries