LumberJocks

Woodworking blog entries tagged with 'chlorociboria sp'

  • Advertise with us
View Sodabowski's profile

Spalters Inc. #6: determining the temperature of destruction of xylindein

10-27-2011 02:17 PM by Sodabowski | 19 comments »

Hey guyzz, So little time these days with all the work at the university. But I finally settled for a while to build a wooden clamp for test tubes to make a first measurement of the temperature at which xylindein, the pigment produced by Chlorociboriae, permanently loses its color. As you all know, sanding wood leads to quite high temperatures at the surface, and I had previously noticed that xylindein was destroyed when bandsawing stained wood with a freakin’ dull blade from hell...

Read this entry »


View Sodabowski's profile

Spalters Inc. #5: Second attempt preliminary results: win

06-08-2011 11:50 AM by Sodabowski | 13 comments »

Hey guys, Out of the six compartments that I inoculated with Chlorociboria Aeruginosa in my petri dishes, one has absolutely settled and started growing and producing xylindein. Still I have to clean them every few days as the molds that invited themselves to the party are tough to fight, so I opted for the “gardening” method and just mow them out when they become too invasive. Using a lab culture medium would have prevented that from happening, but as I already stated in the p...

Read this entry »


View Sodabowski's profile

Spalters Inc. #4: Second culture attempts

05-18-2011 11:17 PM by Sodabowski | 13 comments »

So the admin of a french mycology website sent me several fresh pieces of Salix with lots of fruiting bodies of Chlorociboria Aeruginosa two days ago (he was also kind enough to test them for variety with his microscope, so this is an accurate naming) and I received them today, along with a little card with the nicest words written on it. AND I received my petri dishes at the very same time. Talk about timing! So I immediately set myself into “bio geek mode” and prepared an aga...

Read this entry »


View Sodabowski's profile

Spalters Inc. #3: First culture attempts update, and eye candy.

04-21-2011 11:06 PM by Sodabowski | 9 comments »

Hey guys, Just for a quick update. The cultures I attempted last time did actually work to some degree. Something grew inside the agar mix :pNo stain from the Ca culture yet and I don’t really expect any to happen. I also grew the accompanying yellow fungus, which actually develops rather agressively into the culture medium. Certainly a big white rot fungus there, Fomes Fomentarius probably, knowing that it was on the tree I took the infested bark from. For the next mushy hunting ...

Read this entry »



DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase