Here’s the link to the post with pictures. Today I finally had enough of thinking and worrying about how to mount the leg vise. After all, once I drill that big hole through the leg, there’s no going back! I got out the Black and Decker Woodwrecker and a 5/8” paddle bit, then punched a hole in the chop for the threaded rod. Then i carefully lined up the chop exactly where I wanted it…leveled it and clamped it in place. I marked the spot on the leg where the hole...
To see more pictures of the project, click here. Continuing work on the Telrad base was easy—-cloudy nights=busy days. I added a wedge to the front of the Telrad base to make it more secure when attached, shaped the whole thing and made some nice edges. I think this is just going to be an experiment in getting it done—-if I like how it handles in the field, I may make it out of oak or something more stable and solid than pine (this was all pieces of 2×4 cutoff). I h...
Please click here for this image heavy post. For those of you who don’t know me, I am an amateur astronomer (besides dabbling in woodworking, writing, art, etc…). I started an astronomy at Wordpress lately to post pictures I’ve been taking through my telescope and other tidbits. I thought of a way yesterday to merge my two biggest hobbies, astronomy and woodworking. I decided to make a base for my Telrad reflex sight, to fit atop the Texas Yard Cannon. And, to make...
To see the post with pictures, please click here. I got back to work shaping the chop for my leg vise today. I have had one too many instances of thinking, “mam, this would be a lot easier if I had that vise done…” on various projects in the last fee weeks. Right! Time to get to work! I spent about 45 minutes paring away the side today trying to match the bevel and shap of the first side I did a while ago. I think it came out pretty good… And here it is ...
For the dramatic (or not so dramatic) before and after pictures, please click here. A busy weekend with the kiddos and my wife happily trumped all other activities (except cutting the grass) for the weekend. But today is Labor Day so…what better way to celebrate than by doing some labor!I had just enough time to squeeze in some work on the still unfinished bench today. It has been sitting, base assembled and dry, with the top merely resting in place now for 3 days. Time to get bac...
To see the picture heavy version of this post, please click here! Very excited today because I got a lot accomplished! I ended with a dry fit of the entire bench and started work on the leg vise. To get started, I finished sawing the bridle joint on the last leg…best cuts to date! Straight as an arrow!When the last legs were cut, I grabbed the rubber mallet and chisels and hacked out the joints in about 10 minutes. So much faster than before! Sharp chisels are a joy to wor...
For the version with pictures, please click here. After reviewing tye excellent advice I recieved from David and Sylvain, I decided to scrap my overly complicated idea to trace the profile of the top onto a 2×4 rail and just chop out the space required to fit the rail into the top. Genius.First things first, I made the measurements and drew lines to show me where to cut and which planks needed trimming. Only 6 or so of the planks needed to be cut. I pulled out the crosscut saw a...
For all the pictures, please click here. Note: This was supposed to have been posted Saturday the 25th… I wasn’t sure how much time I’d have today to work on the bench so instead of charging ahead with measuring the height of the legs to get ready for installing the top, I decided to do some more mundane tasks. They still are in general preparation for the top, but I just wasn’t planning on doing them first. Before I get going though, I had mentioned yestrday...
(Only one picture for this short update today so I decided to post it here too!) Nothing special today, just more working on chopping mortises and 3 more tenons…lots of sawing. Lots. But I have to say I’m seeing a little improvement in my abilities to feel when the wood is telling me I’m going to fast or off angle on the saw strokes. It’s getting easier to saw too—-I’m not putting near as much pressure as I did on the first cut of this project. It f...
As I have stated a few times before I have only been at this wood working game for just over 2 years now. A few months into this journey I graduated up to some chisels and mallet simply trying to understand the elementary basics of paring down wood. I believe the first task was a very green horn lap joint followed by smashing a mortice in..lol. Maybe smashing is the only way of the untrained hands as they yearn to make masterpieces, only while seeing them in our dreams until we can put as man...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1823 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Toy costruction - 131 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 115 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 98 parts
- Woodworking on a Half-Shoestring - 91 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 82 parts
- Shop stuff - 81 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1848 entries
- dbhost - 449 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- mafe - 324 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- Dave Rutan - 273 entries
- William - 258 entries
- robscastle - 256 entries
- shipwright - 255 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 226 entries
- bandit571 - 224 entries
- stefang - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries