To see the picture heavy version of this post, please click here! Very excited today because I got a lot accomplished! I ended with a dry fit of the entire bench and started work on the leg vise. To get started, I finished sawing the bridle joint on the last leg…best cuts to date! Straight as an arrow!When the last legs were cut, I grabbed the rubber mallet and chisels and hacked out the joints in about 10 minutes. So much faster than before! Sharp chisels are a joy to wor...
Please click here to see the version with pictures. I made some good progress for the 20 minutes I had to work on the bench today. I used the utility knife to chamber the edges of the two locking nut/wood discs I fabricated, then polished off the wood with 220 grit sandpaper for a nice smooth finish that didn’t end up overly round. I also got out the 3/8” paddle bit and started to hog out the slot for the support guide at the bottom of the leg vise. I ran out of time to...
Well after restoring the Clearcut chisels I figured they and the rest of my chisels should have a special place to call home. I took one of the drawers under my workbench and made it my chisel drawer. Check out this little video I titled THE PERFECT FIT. View on YouTube Thank you.
Mary May's on line wood carving lessons ***AND turning blanks for carving a Philly Highboy rosette #2: Moving beyond the first 13 online lessons..
Didn’t think when I signed up for online carving lessons that there would be any interaction with the teacher. I was wrong. You get to ask questions, make comments and post your completed lessons for feedback. If you check out Mary May’s online carving lessons you will see that in and amongst the 50+ video lessons, there are the first 13 lessons. The basics. These take you through different kinds of gouges and chisels, sharpening those gouges and chisels. Sharpening a V Ch...
More progress on Jim’s light plates has occurred lately. Here’s the update: I took the piece of siding that he gave me and measured out where the crests and valleys were on the back of the wood and went to town with chisels and Kröktskaft. Boy, aspen sure does pare nice and smooth with little effort (well, sharp tools help too): In short order I had carved out a nice groove on each piece that fit perfectly onto the siding: With the exception of the fact that my plan ha...
For the version with pictures, please click here. After reviewing tye excellent advice I recieved from David and Sylvain, I decided to scrap my overly complicated idea to trace the profile of the top onto a 2×4 rail and just chop out the space required to fit the rail into the top. Genius.First things first, I made the measurements and drew lines to show me where to cut and which planks needed trimming. Only 6 or so of the planks needed to be cut. I pulled out the crosscut saw a...
Here’s the link to the post with pictures. Today I finally had enough of thinking and worrying about how to mount the leg vise. After all, once I drill that big hole through the leg, there’s no going back! I got out the Black and Decker Woodwrecker and a 5/8” paddle bit, then punched a hole in the chop for the threaded rod. Then i carefully lined up the chop exactly where I wanted it…leveled it and clamped it in place. I marked the spot on the leg where the hole...
I bought 5 old Stanley chisels for $15 and they need some attention. One of them has chipped corners and I’m not sure if he can be saved. Maybe a couple years on the grinder will help. I currently don’t own any sharpening tools, so it’s going to be a little while before I can tend to these guys. From reading and watching videos, there’s no way around learning how to sharpen your chisels, so I figured learning with a cheap set is a good idea. I need to figure out ho...
For the version with pictures, please click here. I didn’t have much spare time today but what I did have I used to take care of the next couple steps in the leg vise drama. First I removed the threaded rod and hacked off about 6-8” worth from the end. The rod was just about 2” too long to allow the chop to fully close. Then I figured out how to mount a handle. It occurred to me while I was trying to remove the rod from the bench from the test fit. If I could car...
For the dramatic (or not so dramatic) before and after pictures, please click here. A busy weekend with the kiddos and my wife happily trumped all other activities (except cutting the grass) for the weekend. But today is Labor Day so…what better way to celebrate than by doing some labor!I had just enough time to squeeze in some work on the still unfinished bench today. It has been sitting, base assembled and dry, with the top merely resting in place now for 3 days. Time to get bac...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1694 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 92 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 69 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1719 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- dbhost - 403 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- mafe - 286 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 232 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- stefang - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 203 entries
- robscastle - 196 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 191 entries
- Dave Rutan - 191 entries
- Rustic - 190 entries