11 months ago it was decided we would have new years on our new deck that was only built a month before. So we decided on the spur of the moment to build a bar From there the bar seems to have taken on a life of its own. It no longer an out door bar, it is fully enclosed and water proofed... which in it self was a challenge once was water proofed we got power added so the bar fridge and TV, lights and accessories. The french doors we made at my work and got them installed once they went up...
Well after restoring the Clearcut chisels I figured they and the rest of my chisels should have a special place to call home. I took one of the drawers under my workbench and made it my chisel drawer. Check out this little video I titled THE PERFECT FIT. View on YouTube Thank you.
Well, now that I am done distracting myself with mallets, saw benches and cleaning it is time to get back at this. I have set an arbitrary deadline of September(ish) for completion of this bench so it is time to ramp things up a bit. We left off with a partially fitted end cap in the last blog. A bit more progress has been made there. I have the Dovetails cut and “fitted (will require more plugs and shims.. perhaps by the 4th dovetail I will have this figured out?) As before I ...
The dovetails and mortise and tenons on the carcase are done. My dovetails are getting better. Practice does make a difference. Tails done time for pins Its square. Cutting the mortises. The tape makes the knife marks easier to see, A little touchup on one end and we can cut and fit the panels front and rear.
Living here in sunny FLA, we don’t have to worry about ice and snow. But, we do get the occasional tornado. And hurricanes are not unheard of. So, as my hand tool collection has grown over the years, it suddenly occurred to me that if I had to flee from impending natural disaster, it would take me a good hour to gather up my precious hand tools. Now, not to downplay the importance of my power tools, but they are easier to replace than some of my vintage hand tools. So, after watc...
As i mentioned earlyer im about to start carving the first dragonportal for my parents cabin. Il try to blog abouth it when i can, and we will se where it goes, it will take some time. I am considering making some small videos as i go, With my photographer friend as support. I will try to answer any questions when i have time if there is any. The material is ofc slowgrowing higland pine With a high resin content, this makes it durable, when you start counting centuries durable. The same...
short lil bitty, just more planing and trying to figure up glueup. Mainly just a few pics, didn’t take many, phone weighed too much.. initial setup, i moved some around later and liked it betterI had them clamped together to be able to lift the slab and judge some weight..gonna be nice and heavy. Wards Master #6 took a 6.5’ full width shaving for me and had to catch the moment :0 I like where i have them aligned at this point, though i still gotta tweek the gl...
This box I made for my son for a birthday gift. He has it now and was pretty thrilled with it. Now the shop is a disaster area as I have it torn apart to build a storage unit in one corner. The box was a fun build, and I really needed the practice. My meagre skills have waned. Over the last year I have not done any woodworking, concentrating instead on getting the shop built. This is the first project to come out of it. This turned out to be a long video so I split it into 2 part...
Working with reclaimed wood is rewarding but can be a real challenge. This particular wood is so hard, I broke a drill bit and got multiple screws stuck in the wood. Oh well, at least a tree wasn’t cut down for this project, yet! Today, I started some assembly. Check out my work. I also wanted to add another picture of the concrete portion of the flywheel for your review. I think I resolved the sizing issue. I was able to weigh the flywheel today and it weighed right at 80lbs.
Building a Ditty Box--first project for my nephew #4: Learning some more new skills, completing the main box
I haven’t been taking as many pictures the last bit, but we’ve made a lot of progress. We we neared the completion of the main box, we needed to make some bevels on the bottom trim. Rather than resort to the router, we went for the more hand finished look, making the bevels with a plane.They came out really well, and after assembly, he also beveled the corners as you’ll see below. It all turned out very nice. Next came the glue up of the bottom trim pieces and the inst...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1736 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 98 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 78 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1761 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- dbhost - 410 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- mafe - 303 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 239 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- robscastle - 216 entries
- stefang - 215 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Dave Rutan - 210 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 193 entries
- Rustic - 190 entries