Today was a light day for me as I’m running out of things I can do until I get more wood, so today I cut out the side profile of the chop. I had this piece of thin ply laying around so I ripped it down to size and put my alignment marks on it, then drew the shoulder using a french curve template. Using the centerline I was able to do both sides. I clamped it on edge and sanded the template profile smooth then traced both sides on the chop. I cut a bunch ...
Two days before Christmas, my wife casually mentions that she would like a jewelry box. Hmmm, don’t think the timing was very good. Having completed the 2×4 project, I decided to try to put together a jewelry box from the small pieces of wood laying around in my shop. I had a decent amount of 1/2” cherry, some figured maple, some oak, and a small amount of paduk. After spending a few days laying out a design and seeing if I had enough wood, I started cutting and gluing.Th...
So I’ve been planning on building a decent mahogany tv stand for about a year now. I drew up numerous plans and picked out tons of wood from my old stockpile. I had the dimensions down so that it would fit my (much too large and heavy) old school tvas well as 3 peripherals right at the top. Also lots of storage below for whatever. Work became unbelievably busy last year, as well as my wife getting pregnant and my twinswere born 7 months ago. Wow. So needless to say I didn̵...
Well, time has slipped away and it has been too long since my last blog post. In the interim, thankfully, work has been keeping me hopping and have gotten small projects out of the shop. Also the bandsaw and I had a disagreement and the bandsaw won the day. Thankfully no major damage was done and in a few more weeks I’ll be as right as rain. I have finally finished the poplar mockup and tommorrow the “real thing” begins in earnest. I made all of the changes that I not...
well i have alot of finishing stuff. i am also getting a lot into the spraying so the chance arose to get my own little finishing booth in the corner of my attic right near 2 windows so of course i jumped on the opertunity. just to give you a perspective. after i cleaned out my finishing cabinet here was my stuff. and my table saw is 4 foot 3 inches by 27 inches so this is where i will cover the construction of the table. its not fine woodworking but my woodworking passion really c...
It all started with the purchase of a stanley #48, the tongue and groove plane. I saw it on Roy Underhills show the WoodWright. So it is really his fault. Anyway I have slowly and sometimes quickly started accumulating hand tools. So now its time to use them, I chose to make a table out of Pine for a friend. Pine is soft and should be fairly forgiving of mistakes or improper techniques. This is only the beginning, I figure if I can get comfortable with the hand tools, then future pro...
This morning I was out in the shop by 10am, eager to go. Motrin is a wonderful thing. I took the now full width back half out of the clamps and grabbed a glue scraper and went to work. I was able to only get a little bit of the glue runs off, so I switched to my jack plane. I had a bit of an alignment issue with these boards so I had some fairly high spots to flatten out. I did the bare minimum with the plane until I was worn out, it didn’t take long. Then I mustered all of my st...
Well, after milling the stock and making a new tenoning jig for the table saw I was ready to cut the tenons on the aprons of the table. The jig was worth the effort and I was able to do a first dry fit of most the table parts. There’s more info in this post on my blog along with pictures of the new jig and the process. Take a look and thanks for reading!
Yesterday and a little bit this morning was spent jointing and fitting the front, back and drawer dividers. I now have a complete carcase. Drawer dividers in and fit. Front and back installed and fit. I need more practice on my mortises but they got better as things progressed. Should be fairly easy to cover the mistakes. On to the lid and drawers.
After drawing the plans, I went to the store to purchase the lumber to build the storage box. Had to make a few substitutions due to the price of lumber here in England. Instead of using ply, I settled for MDF. Still quite expensive but nothing near the price of ply or pine. Anyway, I will post pictures of the work in progress.
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1742 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 106 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 79 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1767 entries
- dbhost - 419 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- mafe - 304 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 246 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 220 entries
- robscastle - 218 entries
- Dave Rutan - 214 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 193 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 190 entries