OK, I lied. This installment isn’t about the building of the bench legs. I had a few more details to add to the bench top and didn’t think they would make for their own entry but now I think they can stand on their own, so here we go. The bench my wife picked out has a small steel plate attached to the top of the bench for hammering on and whatnot. I had already purchased her a 4”x4” steel block for this purpose so I decided to simply make a matching recess in the t...
So after a bit of practice and getting use to my Bungee Lathe, I finally completed my goal to get get some good handles on my old socket chisels. I patterned the handle off of the handle that is on my Witherby firmer chisel (third from the top)I made them just a wee bit longer (I don’t like it when my pinky hangs off the end of the handle) and put some octagonal flats around the main section of the body. Why Octagonal flats? A picture is worth a thousand words: I used cherry, ma...
I have made lots of progress and actually am using my new bench some, I’ve just needed to get an update here. After putting the top on the base, I marked out so I could start hand planing.I used my scrub plane to get things close, that’s the scrub plane’s results above, and then this #5 to get the top flat and without wind.Here’s a picture of the top in “near” flat and smooth. FYI, I ended up with about 45 gallons of shavings.To trim the ends to final le...
My clamps was always just laying around my shop. They ended up every ware from may table saw to behind my lath. I searched the internet high and low and did not fins any good ideas that will fir my shop. Don’t get me wrong there is plenty of good clamp racks out there from swing door to the mobile versions. In needed something that would not take up a lot of floor space and yet have the ability to store my 8ft and 6ft clamps. I have a lot of pipe clams and a few Jet ones. I also have a lot of...
I set aside the me I decided to use some scraps of Ipé from the deck that was built a couple years ago to finally build that bench, to sit on top of said deck. Here is a sketchup snapshot of part of the design; And a few of work in progress. I cut the butt-swoop in the top of the ‘ribs’ on the bandsaw. I cut the dadoes in the rail to fit the seat supports w/a router, then drilled holes for walnut dowels.I tried use the best SS screws I had, but the 1st one snapped, and ...
Well guys after 2 days I finished my first whirligig ” Man cutting wood with a Laguna Bandsaw. If you would like to be part of the Whirligig Wars Woodworking Contest. Visit A Simple Design of Ocala for more information or check out my blog entry “Whirligig Wars Project contest” here on Lumberjocks to watch the video.. Hosted by Steve Ramsey of woodworking for mere mortals and Myself with prizes from Laguna Tools, Woodworkers Guild of America, Rockler Woodworking, Steve R...
Welcome back and again sorry for taking so long to get this post out. After my hand healed I was really backed up on some other projects. I’m almost caught up and will post some of those projects on my page in the next couple of days. When we left off we had all the sanding done and are ready for staining and finishing. I’m making two of these frogs, one that will need staining and one out of exotic wood so everyone can participate in this project. We will go over staining next. I’m...
to make my routing work environment more enjoyable i added a few different dust collection systems to my router table. as well as showing the fence that i made for it. first I’ll start off with the fence. it has a 2” opening that goes up high about 3 1/2” to allow for higher bits. so the fence is about 6 inches high for maximum support. and about 2 inches longer than the router table on both sides for maximum work piece support on both the infeed and outfeed sides. so here i...
I was checking out some picture frames that spunwood has on the site and ask to see some profiles. My request was granted so now it’s my turn. I went out to the shop and took these pictures. Hope that this helps those of us that don’t have molding cutters see another way to do it. This one is weathered cedar and a piece of redwood cut with a cove bit on the routertable and a piece of longleaf pine with a rabbet cut making the inside of the frame. Here I used ipe with sedona ...
Finally, the tail vise. Back in the design stages of the bench, I looked at all the various ways people hold wood. I knew at the time where this bench would end up for a good portion of its life so I made decisions based on that. I toyed with a couple of things, a tool trough (I think this is a good idea however only if you can walk all around your bench and not so deep, an inch would suffice), an end vise, the swing out arm vise (I am sure there is another name for this). In the end I settle...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1814 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Toy costruction - 130 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 115 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 98 parts
- Woodworking on a Half-Shoestring - 91 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 82 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1839 entries
- dbhost - 448 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- mafe - 322 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- Dave Rutan - 265 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 254 entries
- robscastle - 253 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 221 entries
- stefang - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- bandit571 - 211 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries