Well, after much cussing and fighting, got all the rails fitted to their mortises. This being the last on this side of the door. Wound up making it an open ended affair. The lock rail took the longest, and I think I traced it’s ancestry back about ten generations… Ok, when I go to assemble the door for the final time, I will install a few wedges into each tenon, then pin the joint with a couple of dowel pins. Managed to measure for the center stile, and get the measu...
It’s been a while since my last woodworking project, so I’m easing back into the groove with a new file cabinet. I have a piece of junk tin cabinet in my home office that squeaks every time I open and close it. I did some serving trays in Cherry, and really liked working with it, so my new file cabinet will be Cherry. I found a photo online and liked the style so I sketched it up in Sketchup and AutoCAD. The legs are 1 3/4” x 1 3/4” and the rest of the frame is 1&...
I have been doing a lot of little things to get ready for glue up. I cut the mortise for the lid latch and fit the escutcheons in the keyholes. The escutcheons came out pretty close to straight up and down and in alignment. drilled and mounted the drawer pulls and handles. Yesterday afternoon put the finish on all of the inside surfaces. Sanded and put a second coat on this morning. I’m using amber shellac on the oak, clear on the Bubinga. About 10:30 this morning I glued up...
We last ended with the second dovetail and the end caps mortised for the tool well ends. After a week of no progress in the shop I finally had some time this weekend to get something done. To start I needed to cut the remaining dovetails so I would know where the dados should stop to not be seen on the out side of the bench. I am sooooo glad this is over with. I would love to say I got better with each one but I really didn’t. I did learn something new on each one but the mista...
Had a few pieces of old barn siding in the shop, needing a project to use them in. Wife wanted a small table for beside the bed. Ok, need to find some leg stock. Found a 2×10 maybe twenty inches long. Ripped it into four legs. and planed all the saw marks away. Stashed them away for awhile. Had some Double Dutch 4” barn siding to mill down. Most were split almost right down the middle, and the few that weren’t were cupped badly. Reduced the wide planks ...
Over the past few days, my brother and I have worked more on the workbench portion of the project. We framed out the bottom shelf and framed out the workbench top. We used some scrap 2×4’s to do the framing and some scrap plywood for the surface. Eventually, the plywood work surface will be covered with oak. We are still debating the best way to weld the crank together but I want to make sure everything fits and is functional first. The next step to tackle is the tension wheel, hea...
Back in 1989 my first and best mentor died, my grandpa lived next to me growing up and I spent many hours in his shop bugging him. He taught me a lot and little did I know years later I would still be repeating things he said in my head as I’m working. Gramps worked with oak and mahogany quite a bit so every time I smell either species I picture him looking over my shoulder. I think the coolest thing about woodworking is the legacy it leaves. I’ll be paying for something at a ...
Yesterday I picked up a 1 – 1/4” forester bit and a 3/8” x 10” long brad point bit at Woodcraft. The forstner bit is for drilling the hole through the chop and leg for the leg vise. The bit is too short to make it all of the way through the leg so I also need to get a forstner bit extension. The 3/8” bit is for the pins that hang the Criss-Cross on the chop and leg. The chop is 9” wide so this was barely able to make it through. I didn’t want to hassl...
We’ve got the box out of the clamps and smoothed out. Time to cut the splines. I have a spline cutting jig I made for my table saw. It has a saddle that rides along the fence similar to the 22.5 cutting jig. I do the top corners first to get them out of the way. The top corner, since the angles are 45 degrees, just sits in the jig normal. On the 22.5 cuts, I used one of my test pieces of pine to support the angle. You can see that in the picture. I also raised the saw blade a ...
Today was a light day for me as I’m running out of things I can do until I get more wood, so today I cut out the side profile of the chop. I had this piece of thin ply laying around so I ripped it down to size and put my alignment marks on it, then drew the shoulder using a french curve template. Using the centerline I was able to do both sides. I clamped it on edge and sanded the template profile smooth then traced both sides on the chop. I cut a bunch ...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1780 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 110 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Toy costruction - 104 parts
- Just for Fun... - 98 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 81 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1805 entries
- dbhost - 432 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- mafe - 307 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 254 entries
- robscastle - 233 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- Dave Rutan - 221 entries
- stefang - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 203 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 195 entries