I did not have time to post progress yesterday, but today I finished the humidor test build. My wife has absconded with it to hold her art supplies in, so it will not be getting a hygrometer. Before Hinges and before gluing the liner in Remaining pics show the completed project Top Bottom
My daughter has been making some progress on the pie safe. She has gotten it almost to where you can tell what it is going to be. She has finished punching one of the panels and is working on another. I have a question, are there anyShe has finished punching one of the panels and is working on another. I would love to hear some ideas. By the way, the panel was punched using a sharpened nail and a hammer. I thought it came out good. We opted for a bread box opening ...
This is a project that has been on the list for quite awhile. As shown here, two more chests are being test fitted. Things seem to fit nicely and will help to get clutter from underfoot. One thing I learned is that the vintage saws I bought for restoration and use should have been measured! Handles take up a LOT of length. They will fit only because of slots cut in the top! Handles and finish need to be applied, but that will wait until warmer weather. If I finished them now, I’d b...
Figured I would start a new series related to tool making. I recieved Fine Woodworking yesterday and I noticed that there is an article/video on making and using a simple Scratch stock. This is another one of those items that has been on my build list for a while. Additionally there is an article on how to make a dove tail marker out of brass and some chisels for refining dove tails. The chisels look like they are right up Mads alley. The chisels are made from Hock Marking Knife bl...
Here is some more progress of the inlay. I started off by lightly tacking the star in the position I wanted and tracing the outline with a sharp knife. Light strokes at first and then gradually deeper. And then using a chisel to remove a little v notch. This allows me to cut slightly deeper with the knife and establishes the outside shoulder of the inlay mortise. It also gives me a visual barrier to look out for on the next step. I chucked up a small straight cutting bit in m...
If you want to see the version with all the pictures, please click here. I got up with the sun today to get a head start on bench before the munchkins got up. First order of business was to unclamp the 2nd half that I glued up last night. Then, after a quick run with the plane to smooth out the mating faces, I glued up the two halves. It’s now one massive slab of wood where a little over a week ago, it was just a collection of 16 2×4s. This thing is gratifyingly heavy as well. ...
Well Folks, I did what I could today. It was a long day of work and hospital visits so shop time was certainly limited to a few hours late into the night. I left a bit of a glue mess on my back assembly last night so I paid the price for it today.Now, that picture was just to show the assembly without clamps, but this one should be better…and some more….I had a few pictures of my lady checking my sanding job but they all were too blurry. She walked around it and made sure I d...
Those few of you that follow my mere attempts to be a wood worker will know I have fun doing it no matter how the project turns out. Whether it works out great or an failed attempt. Or whether it is a biggish project like the coffin or a small one like the cribbage board. Having the right tools for the job can make things so much easier, yes I will agree with that statement. However as we all know you don’t always have the right tool or all the tools you require or want to have in yo...
This table is special I suppose because it is my first. My shop being set in all natural conditions sure made this a spread out project, there were some truly brutal hot and humid days that let this sit and wait for a better time to work with it. I wanted a piece that had touches of rustic warmth supported with lines of a Renaissance rhythm. To stand back and see the entire composition in it’s thought out form, from some ragged sketches to this on my living room floor is a nice reward for ...
Using Oil Stones Again, Water Stones Now Stowed Away Ollie gave an excellent review of Norton Water Stones and I posted most of the comments below at that review. I think perhaps it was a bit out of place there and offer my apologies to Ollie. I just wanted to present some of my experiences with water stones out in public in case there are others out there that are getting a bit disillusioned with using them. I’ll preface this with, “the vast majority of woodworkers will disagree with...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1366 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Just for Fun... - 84 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1389 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 392 entries
- dbhost - 389 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- mafe - 228 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 190 entries
- Rustic - 185 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- shipwright - 180 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 166 entries
- PurpLev - 163 entries
- stefang - 157 entries