Had a few pieces of old barn siding in the shop, needing a project to use them in. Wife wanted a small table for beside the bed. Ok, need to find some leg stock. Found a 2×10 maybe twenty inches long. Ripped it into four legs. and planed all the saw marks away. Stashed them away for awhile. Had some Double Dutch 4” barn siding to mill down. Most were split almost right down the middle, and the few that weren’t were cupped badly. Reduced the wide planks ...
Well, now that I am done distracting myself with mallets, saw benches and cleaning it is time to get back at this. I have set an arbitrary deadline of September(ish) for completion of this bench so it is time to ramp things up a bit. We left off with a partially fitted end cap in the last blog. A bit more progress has been made there. I have the Dovetails cut and “fitted (will require more plugs and shims.. perhaps by the 4th dovetail I will have this figured out?) As before I ...
I’ll be hopping in the car and driving out to beautiful Franklin, Indiana tomorrow (Sunday) morning to attend two classes next week at Marc Adams’ School of Woodworking. First, I am in a 6-day long project class in which I will be building an arts-and-crafts style entry table. Then I will take a one-day class on tool sharpening skills. Both classes will be taught by Mike Pekovich of Fine Woodworking Magazine. I’m excited about the opportunity to add to my skills and make...
Now that the wagon vise is sorted out and functioning quite well I might add (am having too much fun with it right now tbh).. Last night after work (1am.. pretty sure my neighbors hate me right now) I decided to go ahead and make the 1” dog for the vise. Fairly straight forward. Sanded the 1” dowel slightly to give it a smooth fit (using the vise to do it no less :D ) Then cut to length, cut an angled notch at the top and then used my 1/4” chisel to cut a grove d...
The closest I’ve come to working on 816 is walking through the shop on the way to work. I did have a surprise the day after I registered my PDR in that the other Manitoban who has a PDR emailed me and introduced himself. Turns out we are only about an hour away from each other. Serendipitiously he was to do an interview that same day with a local radio station to try and stir up some interest in wooden boats. Apparently his hull (#500) is still serviceable and it sounds like he real...
Yesterday started with the bench side of the Toolwell. I glued up the back wall the night before and yesterday morning it was time to remove the clamps and rip that to the correct thickness. I decided to do it this way so I could clamp the other side to this one as a cutting guide. It worked pretty well. A quick pass with the No 4 and it is done. Then I trimmed up the leading edge where the dovetails will be and started on the mortise in the endcap. I used the same process a...
First things first I trimmed the tenons that I left long flush with the top. My HF flush cut saw took care of that pretty quickly. Then I wanted to square up one end of the bench. Eventually I will cut a tenon in here for the end cap. The other end is waiting on the end caps and wagon vise hardware to determine where it will be cut. Then I wanted to carve out the deadman groove before I forgot and ended up trying to cut it out upside down and backwards lol. I al...
We need a Murphy bed next winter in Arizona and I did not want to buy the hardware. That takes all the fun out of designing it yourself and costs $360. So I looked at a lot of bed designs and settled on one that used HD pivots, gas springs for counterbalance and a swing out leg support rather than the fold down kind.The parameters were a twin mattress (7×39 x 75), had to flip long ways and enough room inside for making the bed. Then I had to decide on the pivot points, the foot pivot ce...
Time for some catch up and an update. Most of you who follow the workbench thread on the forum have already seen most of this but I feel compelled to keep this blog alive and I really need to resist the urge to spam the forum with progress updates and keep them here lol (sorry about that guys!). So we left off with the legs being glued up so naturally the next step was to square them up and make them more “leg” like. I had to get creative with the clamping to make this happen...
Yup. had a pair of legs already tapered on two sides. Got the other two legs done by noonish. Tapered with handplanes only, mind you. Set up a “work space” such as i have. A washer & dryer served as a staging area And laid out a few toys, er tools. That little piece of paper? THAT is all the “plans” I had, just the measurements for the aprons. Made tenons on one of the short aprons ( 24-1/2” long 1×4) so I would have a pattern...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1371 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Just for Fun... - 84 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1394 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 393 entries
- dbhost - 389 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- mafe - 228 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 190 entries
- Rustic - 185 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- shipwright - 180 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 166 entries
- PurpLev - 163 entries
- stefang - 158 entries