I had to re-make the spline jig because I made it out of 1/4” ply and my bushing is just shy of 1/2” tall. So it just took a few minutes to make one out of 1/2” ply. I measured and measured. Using a combination square set to 2”, I carefully marked the location of the jig. After doing one side of the joint, I then flipped the jig, used the square to precisely set it in place, and then cut the mortises on the other side of the joint wit the router. Then came sq...
I will cover a few days in this entry, a little time working each day over the last few days. I needed to mill the walnut to two glued up 3/4” thick pieces for the shelf and second leg. The boards were not completely flat nor straight, so a little jointing was necessary before putting them in the thickness planer. Who says one has to have a power jointer to get it done? Got a nice pile of shavings out of this board: There were 3 knots on the backsides of the board I had t...
That kind of fall apart. Instead of a box spring, it had an old waterbed platform under it Tore things down into “parts” Some posts will get rived apart, as they were three piece glue ups. Longer stuff to be cut down a bit I think I will keep these pieces. Got to sawing stuff down. Working down some leg parts. The goal was to build a Frame & Panel Tool Chest, using the parts from the old bed. Rive a board means to split it down the length, hoping for ...
My nephew didn’t want any more pics to go up until he had a chance to show it to his mother and grandmother (my sister), so I haven’t posted any update. However, since today was return to home day, all may be revealed. After finishing the main box, he cut and glued four cleats to the underside of the top. He clamped up the front and back cleats first, and then snuck up on the length of side cleats. They fit perfectly. I guess I didn’t take any pictures of him cuttin...
Building a Ditty Box--first project for my nephew #4: Learning some more new skills, completing the main box
I haven’t been taking as many pictures the last bit, but we’ve made a lot of progress. We we neared the completion of the main box, we needed to make some bevels on the bottom trim. Rather than resort to the router, we went for the more hand finished look, making the bevels with a plane.They came out really well, and after assembly, he also beveled the corners as you’ll see below. It all turned out very nice. Next came the glue up of the bottom trim pieces and the inst...
Building a Ditty Box--first project for my nephew #3: Mortising the old fashioned way and a first panel glue-up
We’ve continue on in the project. After crosscutting his first board by hand—getting him comfortable with hand sawing—He did a some rough crosscuts on the miter saw and some finer ones with the crosscut sled on the table saw. Here is his first cut on the miter saw. His commitment to doing the cuts safely is really comforting. The box has a small divided shelf held in place by mortises in the box. We’re doing them the old-fashioned way so he can learn to use ch...
My friend Dr. Bruce Dembling recently invited me to his small blacksmith shop in Charlottesville, Virginia. In the above video you’ll see how he repaired several problems on my old antique woodworking chisels. These blacksmith chisel repairs included: 1. Fusing a broken chisel blade: 2. Removing the “mushroom” from a socket chisel: 3. Cutting off the end of an irreparable chisel fracture: This video isn’t meant to be a full tutorial of blacksmith work, but an...
Well, As I work towards finishing a run of Adirondack chairs I’ve chosen to put the power tools aside for a while except for needed home repairs. It’s time to simplify. Time to quiet down my woodworking. I want to focus on building larger pieces 99% to 100 by hand. I’m still debating on the table saw issue. Time for creative challenges instead of obsessive production, stress, and the shrills of power tools all day. My new goals are larger historic furniture piece...
I’d finished roughing out the stummel of the pipe on the bandsaw and I moved on to rounding off the rough edges. My first approach was to stick the 12” disc sander on the Shopsmith and go to town. Since the lathe was out of commission, I thought this was my next best option. I’d seen videos on YouTube and it seemed fairly straightforward. What quickly became apparent was that such a large, rigid disc was not going to give me the fine detail I wanted. It worked fine for round...
Intro- I’ve been using a lot of wooden planes recently and have really come to enjoy their lightness and the feel of wood sliding on wood. Obviously there are a ton of vintage woodies out there; however, I quite enjoy making my own versions of them. They are a lot cheaper (if you have some time on your hands) and you don’t have to deal with old warped wood and a host of other problems you may encounter. I can’t say I am an expert by any means, I’m simply sharing my...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1538 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 94 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1563 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 394 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- mafe - 267 entries
- William - 258 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- shipwright - 211 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 199 entries
- stefang - 188 entries
- Rustic - 186 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 181 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 168 entries