For those so inclined, an instructional video for three simple handcrafted projects to fill an empty weekend. So turn down the sound and relax watching these craftsmen at their best. Enjoy …...... http://youtu.be/rJ1TKkkF1ps
Note to my readers—-this is the secret project I’ve mentioned a few times. It has consumed my shop time since February. That’s why it’s been so slow on the blog for the last few months. Now that it has been delivered, I can post the details. Today’s task was to fit the completed carving into the front panel of the box. To do this, I decided to mark out the area I needed and use the router my dad donated to the shop last October. It felt good to use this o...
Note to my readers: This entry is part of the secret project I’ve mention previously. Now that it’s been delivered, I can post this without ruining the surprise… I put some more time in on the carving….another two days (which is really only about 4 hours), and it’s all done! I carefully trimmed the wood to the pencil lines then used chisels to gentle chamfer the edges of the letters and the winged foot. Then I trimmed an emory board to a point amd used ...
Note to my readers—-this is the secret project I’ve mentioned a few times. It has consumed my shop time since February. That’s why it’s been so slow on the blog for the last few months. Now that it has been delivered, I can post the details. I just love relief carving. It’s so relaxing. And it’s pretty comfortable on the mini-bench too. Though I will look into making an angled piece to hold the work so I don’t have to crane my neck over the w...
Note to my readers—-this is the secret project I’ve mentioned a few times. It has consumed my shop time since February. That’s why it’s been so slow on the blog for the last few months. Now that it has been delivered, I can post the details. While fuming over the death of my hand plane (see death of a plane below) I decided to switch tactics and work on the detail piece that will grace the front of the chest. I plan to use a piece of basswood, carved, and set i...
With the sides all nice and coplanar, time to mill a rabbet for a bottom. Set up a router with a 3/8” rabbetting bit, and ran it around the edges. Squared the corners with a chisel. Now, I get told there is to be a divider in this desk. Hunt around for a piece of scrap wood to make the divider. I also needed a dado for it to be installed. So, I laid one out, about three inches from the front. handsawn, and then chiseled to remove the waste And repeat for the other s...
Ok front dovetails are done, just need to be planed true. Next is the back corners. Don’t intend to waste a dovetail back there, so. Laid out for a rabbet/dado joint on the back corner of the sides. Sawn to the lines and then a chisel to remove the waste By driving the chisel in the end grain. Pare smooth, and do the other end Next, I use the actual rabbet to mark out a dado in each side. Try as i like, neither rabbet match exactly to the other, joy of hand wor...
Ok, hand is healed up, for now. Got out a handsaw and trimmed things to length. Someone asked about making dovetails for the corners? Had to rearrange the bench a bit, first. That yellow Miter Box was moved around to the front of the corner of the bench. Cleaned off an area in front of it, as well. Laid out for a few cuts Had to add some bits of scrap wood to the miter box, to get rid of any flex. C-clamp to hold things in place. Tried a coping saw at first. Hurt ...
This is the grand finale. Here I’m doing the final leveling of the top. It was a ton of hand planing and sanding. It’s not perfect but not too bad either. I only sanded to 100 grit, I don’t want a slick surface. Now onto applying finish. I used a simple mixture of 1/3 MS, 1/3 BLO and 1/3 spar varnish. Next up is to apply suede to the vise chop and wagon vise and dogs. I used contact cement. That was the last step and here is the final product. ...
Let’s see, already had a plank that could be a lid for the desk project. And I still had some lumber left over. Not the prettiest stuff, though The smaller plank looked about the same. Smaller one was just enough to make one side piece with a sloped edge, and a flat area on one end. Used this as a pattern for the other side piece There was a few items there that i had to work around. There was a crack running the length of the board, and a bid, old knot Hand saw...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1832 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Toy costruction - 131 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 115 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 98 parts
- Woodworking on a Half-Shoestring - 91 parts
- Shop stuff - 90 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 82 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1857 entries
- dbhost - 455 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 398 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- mafe - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- Dave Rutan - 277 entries
- robscastle - 267 entries
- shipwright - 259 entries
- William - 258 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 241 entries
- bandit571 - 237 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries