Oh it takes long time…Just finished preparing the top, 2 sides and bottom part. All write ash. The top is the series of the top from the desk. Put an indian rose butterfly as a pair from the other one from the desk. I did the last one with router and straight bit, but for this time, I wanted to try it only with hand tool. And found out it’s easier to do it with chisels to make the corners sharp. For the side parts, I put 2 pieces togther with SPLINED EDGE JOINT, in J...
So you think your shop is small and maybe your bench isn’t strudy enough? Check out these pics. My wife and oldest daughter recently traveled to China and took these pics for me. These are from a village in south west China near Burma and Tibet. It is a poor but touristy village. They actually stayed with this family for a couple of days. The villagers are ethnic minorities known for their weaving. This guy builds looms for tourists and locals. His wife taught my daughter how they weave...
I have completed the base assembly finally. The stretchers and legs are permanently attached using the drawbore technique. I still have to cut the pins flush and chamfer the edges. I made dowels from an oak board using a dowel plate. What a forearm workout! Other than assembling the base, I have been getting a game plan together for the top and face vise. The next thing that I need to do is prep the boards for the top. I have cut the boards a little over 6ft. long and will begin ...
my first attempt at fiddle building.i will post progress each day. i’m using my homemade tools that you can see in my projects from last yeari haven’t did anything in a while .hope this can inspire and help someone to build the neck is maplei’ll post pictures when i can figure it out
So I’m very excited about this project as this is the first project that I’m using hardwoods on (everything prior was mainly plywood based except for face frames and other accents). So this weekend I had the chance to start working on this project, and start using my short-lumber-supply. I had my eye set on a piece of (what I thought was a) cherry that was just right in dimensions for the sides of this box. it was about 16” tall (to accommodate for the 12” tall box)...
So right now I am just doing a little easy 6×6x6 box for my girlfriend. I’m using poplar and I am going to paint it and maybe felt the inside of it. She’s in college and recently joined a sorority and i thought I would cobble together a little box and paint with Tri-Sigma Greek lettering, colors and symbol. In this case I’ve chosen the sail boat over the skull and cross bones. More to come….
So today I managed to pick upWhat’s this? It’s plate glass!I got it home, and a little later, after picking up some 3M-77 spray adhesive and some more sandpaper,I then got to work lapping my beat up blue marples chisel. As it turns out, the chisel has gotten WAY out of wack. Probably from my misguided attempts at lapping it in the past, but oh well, that’s why I had gotten them cheap, so I could learn without destroying something special.The pictures of the lapping and honin...
Last night I got to put in a few hours on the bench project. I’ve been working on half-lapping the side rails. First marked out the dovetails then I cut them on the band saw. The upper stretcher is a full half-lapped dovetail and the bottom rails has a half-lapped dovetail only on the bottom side. The top side gets a wedge pin to complete the dovetail. After I had the dovetails cut I cut the shoulders with a hand saw then I headed over to the table saw where I used my dado head t...
Let me start by saying that the first part of this blog although posted earlier today, was actually made about a year ago, I just posted it today as a preceding part to the one you’re reading now… tried not to double post and ‘push’ other’s from the blog front page, so I waited half a day between 2 posts, although both were made ready at the same time. to continue the story were I left off, what I found most difficult with setting up the box was the box joints...
Well, I found out what was wrong with my mortising set up – the drill bit inside the mortise chisel was bent and causing the chisel to jam. I tried another chisel that had never been used and it worked, so I went old-school. I started and ended the mortising with those whatchamacallits, chisels! Thats it! I marked out the mortises with a pencil, then went around the perimeter with a chisel. I only went deep enough to cut the surface fibers, maybe 1/16”+, and got a nice outli...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1062 parts
- Extremely Average - 325 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 85 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- Just for Fun... - 75 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Workshop Development - 64 parts
- 52 Weeks - 52 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1084 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 384 entries
- Ecocandle - 326 entries
- dbhost - 318 entries
- Martin Sojka - 294 entries
- Karson - 289 entries
- MsDebbieP - 285 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- William - 215 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Stevinmarin - 201 entries
- mafe - 188 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 183 entries
- Rustic - 182 entries
- PurpLev - 159 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 148 entries
- scottb - 144 entries
- kosta - 144 entries