Got out the chisels, clamped a rail to the bench, and chopped awhile.. Made to match the tenon. Some of the tenons were a bit too fat. Thinned them down a bit, then marked the rail to fit. Depth was around 1” deep…..as each mortises was chopped and fitted, I kept marking them, to tell which end went which way. Test fits.. Once I got all the mortises chopped, got the clamps and glue out…..fight was on! The rail in the vise wasn’t so bad to do, it was t...
One of the things missing on this site is making knife scales. This is not something I normally do but I bought my wife some knives that required scales and during the process, noticed that we had several knives where the handles looked like crap, were cracked, and even broken. Some of them had really good blades and some were junk (these were tossed). During this process, the knives that I bought from Woodcraft have really nice blades but the rivets were less than desirable, sam...
Side #1 was completed today.. The tenons go into “housed’ joints, where I trim the area around the stretcher, where it meets the post. I just saw a bit on either side, chisel a flat spot, ajust the tenon for length. Clamped the other rocker to the completed side. had some marks to transfer over to the next set of posts. After messing up the notches in the rocker the last time by doing the posts first. This time around, I made the notches first. Set the square to...
Well, after rehabbing a few other items from the Birthday Rust Hunt…..time to resume that rocking Chair project? Figured i’d need some 4/4×4 stock to make a few things for the back and seat. Been using the bandsaw…it was making a lot of racket, got to looking around…and wound up tearing it down. Lower thrust bearing was out too far. rubbing on the frame. Got it back, the tracking reset, so i had to work on the upper guides as well. Might get a new b...
This is the final video in this series. Before final assembly, I finish the piece with shellac and Waterlox for the cherry, and water based poly for the maple parts. I also show how I made the custom pulls for the doors and the drawer from ebony and maple. I show how I hide the magnetic catches for the doors so they are almost invisible. Then it’s on to the task of installing them correctly on the curved surfaces. The rest of the interior pieces get installed, the top and back get...
Again. Well, a trip to Lowes produced a couple of boards….3/8 by 5-1/2 wide. One was 2’ long, the other was 3’. Laid out the two planes that will go into the box. Needed a length and a width..But, before too much got done, decided to clear the deck, and clean it up a bit…. Seems it has been abused lately.. Anyway, once I got a length, I could grab a crosscut saw and saw to a line.. Just barely leaving the line.. Hey, the original “Cordless...
The following is intended to document my process for building a lowboy. The build is primarily done with hand tools but I did end up using power tools as the project got going. This build was for a independent study so I had access to the university lab’s machines. The lowboy I chose looks like a transition piece between William and Mary to Queen Anne. This low boy was featured in PWM by Glen Huey, but I never ended up reading the issue, I made the plans from pictures. Starting the p...
In this episode, I make the back from some maple stock. The back is ship lapped and will be installed in a groove in the back legs I also make a solid cherry top with a curved front. Now I will say I completely screw up the first attempt by, well just being really stupid and not paying attention to what I was doing, and using the wrong bit in my router. I do show how I recover from this mistake in the end. As always, I welcome your questions and comments! To keep up with what I’...
But, had quite a bit of work to do first.. Lid came out of the clamps..voids on the ends filled. Gaps filled and sanded. Had one filler piece pop out, back into the clamps it went. Got set up for the bottom rebate, used a Wards 78 to mill it. Had to milled a few grooves to add the cutter storage dividers. Needed two narrow dados. Thought I’d try the 45 to cut them…. Couldn’t get the skates close enough. Could only get one of the spurs to move. Square and...
Well, had a heart monitor on for a few days ( taped the electrodes on, and they got ripped off…OW!) Did a short rust hunt. Couple of coping saws needed new blades…spent $2 on each saw. Already had the blades. Stopped at the Green Borg ( Menards) and got a few pieces of hardware. new brass hinges, a new “Olde Brass” Latch, and a few bags of brass screws…..NOT phillips headed ones, either. I got the ones with the slotted, oval heads. Anyway…..got b...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1738 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 98 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 78 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1763 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- dbhost - 410 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- mafe - 303 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 239 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- robscastle - 217 entries
- stefang - 215 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Dave Rutan - 210 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 193 entries
- Rustic - 190 entries