It’s been a while since my last woodworking project, so I’m easing back into the groove with a new file cabinet. I have a piece of junk tin cabinet in my home office that squeaks every time I open and close it. I did some serving trays in Cherry, and really liked working with it, so my new file cabinet will be Cherry. I found a photo online and liked the style so I sketched it up in Sketchup and AutoCAD. The legs are 1 3/4” x 1 3/4” and the rest of the frame is 1&...
Gluing up was quite an interesting time with so many pieces to go together at once. I did the ends first then dry fitted everything to make sure all of the joints would fit up square prior to adding the glue and clamping (using the offcuts from the legs when clamping) I have added one coat of Danish Oil but need to get the lid on before I can finish the handles and add finish to them.
Here is a great idea for a Christmas Tree. I might have a go at one.Below is a video on how it’s done. Very clever guy.. https://www.youtube.com/embed/1yWmqbltB-c
11 months ago it was decided we would have new years on our new deck that was only built a month before. So we decided on the spur of the moment to build a bar From there the bar seems to have taken on a life of its own. It no longer an out door bar, it is fully enclosed and water proofed... which in it self was a challenge once was water proofed we got power added so the bar fridge and TV, lights and accessories. The french doors we made at my work and got them installed once they went up...
I rough cut the oak barn beams, jointed, planed the four legs and let them sit overnight. After marking out for stretcher mortise, beveling the edges, and turning the pads on the bottom of the leg I headed to the mortiser. I don’t have a 7/8” mortise chisel, and I also wanted a very clean mortise as the tenon is a through tenon. What I did was to use a 3/8” chisel and stayed away from the scribe line. I then went back and cleaned up the mortise by hand with a chisel. ...
Put on two coats of Deft semigloss, then made drawer pulls and door handles from recycled ebony piano keys, added an interior baltic birch panel and the most important thing, I got The cabinet mounted on the wall. The moulded edge was masked off and two coats of stain applied prior to gluing the door frame, now that the surrounding parts are finished, the color difference is hardly noticeable, my experiment worked kinda, oh well…Still have a load of decisions to make to figure ou...
Well, late last night, went out and bought two packs of sandpaper, 60 grit & 100 grit. Gave the pine a good sanding all the way around, with both grits in a Palm sander. Dusted the now smooth mess off. Gave both faces of the door a good thick coat of Kilz Exterior Primer, and let it set overnight. Somehow, I managed to get paint on 9 out of 10 fingers, AND the door, and not one other thing in the entire shop! SKILL! Ok, this morning, brought the door up out of the Dungeon...
I recently decided that I would retire gracefully from motorcycling, I bought a new bike in March and have only done 500km due in part to the weather, and probably more importantly due to the horrendous standard of driving in Colombia, there isn’t a day when I am out in the car that I don’t pass at least two accidents involving motorcycles. So the bike is being sold, and I have purchased a 1982 Suzuki SJ, which I am more than happy with, but it came with it’s own problem...
Time to work on the other rail. Cleared the bench of the other items, they found a home on the panel blanks for now. Someone asked about the use of Visegrip Finger clamps Well, they work very nicely for the mortise jig I have. Anyway, a little better layout this time around. Last time, the mortises were too close to the ends. NORMALLY, one would leave a “horn” on each end, then saw off the excess when things were done. OOPS, well, I decided to move the mortise IN a ...
I was out in my garage the other day and went to start a project. Reaching into my toolbox and retrieving a hand plane the first thing I noticed was that it was rusting. Agian! I had just cleaned the rust off of all my planes a little over a month ago and already they were showing signs of new rust. There is nothing more frustrating than spending my free time cleaning rust off of my tools over and over again. I need to find a better way to protect my tools. I already keep them stored in a ...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1463 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 93 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1487 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 394 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- mafe - 236 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- shipwright - 198 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 197 entries
- Rustic - 186 entries
- stefang - 185 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 177 entries
- PurpLev - 163 entries