Today I’ll be working on a prototype for Hospice in Fayetteville Arkansas. This is the same town that I did the 52 beds for the Chi Omega house. One of the ladies on the board that is working on the Hospice project is also an alumni of Chi Omega. She saw our beds a few weeks ago while they were being installed and wants us to build 13 daybeds for them. I traveled 3 hours up there on Thursday. I didn’t go just for that. I had some ladders to move at the Chi Omega house and ...
I wanted to post about finishing the largest single project I’ve done to date. I haven’t posted any many updates on the progress. When I was putting a title to this block, I noticed I already had a series Chi Omega Dorm Room. This was the last biggest project that I built 2 years ago. So the 7 post before this one is the build for that job and not the new one, but the beds are the same, just more of them this time. Two years ago I had 10 singles and 7 bunk beds for a total o...
This is the installation of the 17 beds in the Chi Omega house. These were installed in the third floor attic rooms. It all went fairly smooth. Everything fit together like it was suppose to, nothing got damaged on the way there, and we made good time, considering total travel time was 6 hours up there an back. We installed them in 5 hours with 5 people. We did have one problem, contractor wasn’t finished with the smaller room that was to house the 4 bookcase bunk beds. We assembled the...
I now have the singles finish up. You can see the final post at http://lumberjocks.com/projects/18514 . Here is the drawing and finished product: The only thing I changed was the two doors into just one big one. The two smaller doors looked too small for the size of the opening. Now I will be working on the two styles of bunk beds. Before I left two weeks ago, I made the prototypes and cut out the parts. While I was gone. I had my crew prep and sand everything for me. Hopeful...
I am back from camp and ready to see what was completed. I left with most parts cut out and at least on example of the part that were to be built. I save a copy of my notes online so that I could give instructions from camp if needed. Click on the pictures to see all them. (Good luck with deciphering them). Did have as much done as I would have liked to but that is what I expected. Nothing got totally completed, there was a lot of skipping around. Here are some pictures: For mor...
Started cutting out the parts to the 9 additional single beds only and WOW that is a lot of cutting. I figured 522 pieces (58 each). The drawer have the most at 423 (47 each). I didn’t just cut and rip them, some had to be edge banded and then comes the sanded. I got 2 days to work. I will be going to Church camp for a week. I’d like to have the headboards built and the drawer units ready to assemble before I leave. The week I’m gone, hopefully my crew can get the d...
Here are the two designs for the bunk beds. I’ll eventually build 3 of one style and 4 of the other. The first on has a headboard similar to the single prototype that I built. The only difference is there is no fixed shelf at the top. I made it adjustable because of headroom. I also put an adjustable shelf at the bottom also. The second one is a bookcase design. I tried to keep the same style. I lowered the height of the headboard and built a couple bookcases for each level....
Like I said in the last blog, I don’t usually make prototypes. But since there will be so many, I wanted to work out as many unforeseen details as I could. I did finish up the first one of the three styles. This is the largest group with 10 beds. After building this first one, I only found a couple thing I wanted to change. First I inset the drawers under the platform about 2” on each side. After getting it set up, I feel it would look better with only a ¾” inset of the drawers. Thi...
I am building a total of 17 beds for the Chi Omega Sorority house. There will be 10 single beds and 7 bunks. These bed are a different design. The regular singles will have a 80” tall headboard with just a couple shelves. They will have 23” tall drawer units on one side and doors on the other side and the foot for larger storage. The bunks will be built with a solid panel on the foot and a headboard similar to the single beds. They will all be built from maple wood with just a clear...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1742 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 107 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 79 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1767 entries
- dbhost - 420 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- mafe - 304 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 246 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 220 entries
- robscastle - 218 entries
- Dave Rutan - 214 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 194 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 190 entries