I have been back full time on our boxes for over a week now so I have some progress to report. I have been selecting veneer out of our veneer cellar for the ebony background. From the experience of the previous series I paperbacked the ebony as it is a very brittle wood. Better be safe than sorry Then built the packs in 4 layers without forgetting the grease paper, one of my specialty in the mistake department. Teaching marquetry has been a great help as by reminding the stud...
I finished my Chevalet build a while ago and now I have been getting to know the tool. After I finished tuning the Chevalet, I needed to find the first image I would cut. I tried to find something interesting but “simple” to start with. Seeing that this a French tool I chose a Fleur-de-lis. Over all I didn’t do too bad, not having any real instruction on using the tool. I did have an issue doing sharp/tight turns, so some of my turns/corners are a bit “round...
The last tweak on the Chevalet was to make it more mobile. I have a small garage shop, and it’s getting a little tight on space. Most of my larger tools are on some sort of mobile base, so I can shift things around. Over on the Chevalet Clubhouse, I posted a comment on making a Chevalet more mobile. Both dbray45 and shipwright were helpful in me finding a good solution to make the Chevalet mobile. It was quick and easy, and reversible if needed. I’ve started to cut...
I’m real rusty and haven’t had a chance to do a project I wanted to do since I returned from AFSM a year ago so I thought it was about time. I decided I needed a JIG to cut Dove Tail splines, it just popped into my head so here is the JIG in the first picture. After I made the JIG I needed some way of trying it out so I thought why not a box I had not planned of even putting a top or bottom on it at the time. I found some QUILTED MAKORE that I had been carting around for the last ...
This final blog post is a little overdue. I finished the Chevalet build a little over a week ago, but I ran into some issues getting it to cut properly. Yesterday I found the root of my problem and today I finished up the final tuning. When I was first starting to tune the Chevalet, I was having have an issue with it cutting straight. I thought maybe the blade clamps might be twisted a bit, so I thought I would give them a little twist to straighten them up. Well I was a little too fir...
One of the last major pieces for the Chevalet is the Saw Frame. It needs to be: strong, light, and a little bit “flexible”. I’m making mine out of Ash. For the arms, I tried to find pieces with the straightest grain. The arms are attached to the crossmember using a “multi-finger” bridle joint. My hand sawing skills still need some practice, so for this joint I chose to use the table saw. I have to say, using the table saw and all of the set up I had to do,...
The Pressure Roller and Clapping Jaws came together quickly. Making the pressure roller was the most work, but I came up an “easier” way to make it. I’ve seen others make this out one large piece of wood, but that seemed like a waste of wood and a lot of work. I started by cutting out the center of pressure roller, using a template from my SketchUp drawing. Then for the “ears” I found a hole saw that was about the right size. I cut the ears from a thick piec...
I’m making some good progress on the Chevalet. The Arm and Frame Support are almost complete. The only thing left to do, is to add the diagonal support for the Frame Support. I just ran out of time last night when I was finishing up. When I started to work on the Triple Tenon for the frame support post, I thought if it was really needed. It was a challenge to pull off, but after completing it I understand why it was used. The post so rock solid you could run a tank into it and i...
I had productive weekend in the shop, and made some good progress on the Chevalet. I mostly work on the seat this weekend, and now it’s starting to look like something recognizable. The base was a little bit of a challenge, with the angled back leg and the through tenons. The because the leg is angled, the through mortises are also angled. I drilled out the bulk of the waste then chiseled the mortise using an angled guide block to help. I had a little blowout when drill...
After getting the lumber, I had a fair amount of milling to do. Then I also had to laminate quite a few pieces together, to get the thicknesses I needed. Once all that was done, I was able to start the actual build. I’m starting with the main upright support post and the foot/base. The base has a step in it, to create the feet. I used a Forstner Bit to create the ends of the the step. I also started to hogged out the Mortise for the Upright support, while at the Drill Press. ...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1391 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Just for Fun... - 84 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1415 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 394 entries
- dbhost - 389 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- mafe - 229 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 194 entries
- Rustic - 185 entries
- shipwright - 184 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- stefang - 169 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 167 entries
- PurpLev - 163 entries