I am not exactly sure how I pulled this off in 8 days but I have finished up the build portion of the chest and tomorrow will be putting some finish on it. With the speed of the build I didn’t get as many pics as I had hoped but here is a series that picks up where the last entry left off to present. I hope to have this up in the projects section tomorrow sometime :D The lid ended up slightly smaller than the case (I measured once and cut twice so ...
Today was some odds and ends and final assembly of the bridal chest. It’s not complete. I’ve got to get a little more maple to finish off with some moldings around the lid lip and the skirt. The stainless piano hinge is being mounted on the cover..Here you can see the hinge mounted to the chest along with an arm that locks the lid in a 90 degree open position.Also, I’ve made a box with divider out of maple that slides along the top inside of the chest..Here it is slid ove...
It’s done! She waited through 2 birthdays, 1 anniversary, 1 Christmas, and 1 Valentine’s Day… but it’s finally done, and she seems to feel that it was worth the wait. /phew! For all the details of each step of the project, head on over to my woodworking blog . Otherwise, click over to my LJ Project page and check it out.
My youngest daughter is getting married in September. I’ve decided long ago that i’d make each (I’ve got two) a bridal chest when that time came. Well it’s here and I’m doing it. I’ve made blanket chests before but they’ve been made with raised panels. This one is much simpler. Almost Shaker in nature for the design. It will have large finger or box joints at the corners. I think I’ll make a simple jig for my router to accomplish that. It will b...
Sorry for the delay. It’s been a busy week. For all the details, head on over to my woodworking blog . In the meantime… here’s the next set of progress images… I finish assembling the drawers and fitting them to their bays. Not piston-fit, but as close as I’ve ever come. I can’t stress how important it is to take your time at this step. Take super light passes off the sides of the drawers and keep retesting the fit to the point of insanity. As so...
Guys and gals, I need your advise. I’m cooking my underbench chest of drawers to store some tools. And I’m dreaming about full extension drawers. Here’s what I’m up to so far: half-wooden shop-made full extension slides. Two aluminum extrusion profiles and wooden runner: The extrusions are cut in flash into carcase wall and drawer: I think whole idea is more or less clear, anyway see some pictures of drawer in action. Fully closed: ...
I’ve recently been cleaning up some of my old hand tools to stock a tool chest built by my grandfather sometime in the early part of the 20th century. I inherited a number of my grandfather’s hand tools in 1974 following his death. When my dad died in 1996, I inherited a portion of his tools (Mom sold his power tools to help support herself and the hand tools were either sold or divided among six children). I’ve used these tools, sometimes used them very hard, over the d...
Okay, we started here when the evening’s activites went down: Tills were assembled and trimmed up earlier this morning and I was excited to add hardware and apply a finish. So tonight I started by adding a little beading detail using my Stanley #66 beading plane. Once the top edge of each ‘drawer front’ was beaded, it was time to add the ring pulls I had purchased many months ago… I only took a picture of the hole drilling though, sorry… ...
Left off last time looking like this: After pulling clamps and doing some trim work first at the bench… And then at the chest with the Stanley #278 in chisel plane mode… The chest is now looking like this: Tills are marked for pulls, then I’ll add finish and it’ll be reveal time… Until then, thanks for following along!
I’ve been triple dared to show how I dovetailed my chest, so I’ll give it a try. After shaping the walls, I stood them up at the right tilt individually. In this position I could make a simulated miter line by means of a jig that guided a batten with a pencil at the end. After cutting almost to the line at the bandsaw (1mm clearance at bottom, 7mm at top), I stood them up square in corresponding pairs, and at the right tilt. While in this position I could plane the end of ea...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1465 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 93 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1489 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 394 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- mafe - 236 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- shipwright - 198 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 197 entries
- Rustic - 186 entries
- stefang - 185 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 177 entries
- PurpLev - 163 entries