I found this website, and now am inspired to make my own.http://www.straightupchess.com/store/index.cfm?category=2 I thought this was a really cool idea though I’m not sure yet on how I would want to install the glass or plexi row/stands. If you look closely it also has vertical slits between each checkerboard column. (i think)I wonder how this could have been accomplished
Welcome to another installment of the chess corner. Today’s topic is turning queens on the lathe.A queen’s base diameter is usually around 1 3/4” and the height around 3 3/4”. I use a caliper to measure while turning and turn everything gradually usually in three parts. The base, the stem of the piece and the crown and bring a pencil to the workpiece while it’s still turning after it has been turned round to mark the three segments and the decorative rings. This ...
not much more in the way of progress, but I did get a few things done. To put in the weights, I mixed up some 2-part epoxy and just goobered up the hole, then squished in the weight. I goobered over the top a little to make sure they were held in. To do the pieces in bulk, I nailed together a little sled holder thingamabobber (no critiques, scrap wood and a brief 1 time necessity, not a lifetime shop jig). This would hold 8 pieces at once, which allowed me to glue in the weights in 4 fligh...
Here is the latest video I’ve made in my series on chess piece making. This time it’s the bishop. This one has been the most fun to make so far. The knights were fun but so much work went into each one and they were difficult. This was a nice easy turning job with a little break to put the kerf in the top. Thanks for watching!http://youtu.be/EgwWgVPppMw<iframe src=”//www.youtube.com/embed/EgwWgVPppMw” frameborder=”0” height=”315” width=...
Here is the latest:The pieces are all made. On to the board. Birds Eye Maple and Rosewood.I got the veneer supplies ready to go and glued each piece to the 1/2” Birch Ply after cutting them to rough width, 2.25”. I used the full length of each 12” piece of veneer and had a gap in the middle, which was fine because I had enough to get the eight strips out of it. Each strip is 24 inches long and I just cut what I needed out of it and skipped over the gap. I then cleaned up the...
Does anyone have plans for a reversible inlaid backgammon and chess table? My husband is retiring soon December of 08) and I wood like to make this for him. I already have two chairs that have great bones and are the appropriate size. I picked them up at a secondhand store for $9.99 each and will being upholestering them soon. Thanks for everyone’s help. This is my first blog ever, so you know I must be desperate.
I’ve made a prototype of the knight, finally. It’s not perfect, but a good start. I’ll have to remake this one as I made a critical error in centering the cut on the front/rear view of the piece. I probably won’t post a video on this one as one piece takes me about an hour to make. I’ll post pictures as I get them done though. The eyes were made with a 1/4” forstner bit. The grooves for the hair were made with a v-groove carving chisel. All partial relief e...
I have finished with the knights. This took some doing. Mostly cuts in transverse directions on the scroll saw. Then hand carved, fluted, eyes drilled and all sanded to 600 grit. Several layers of finish with sanding between. Next stop the bishops!
I got side tracked and didn’t accomplish any of the goals that I set for today. The day wasn’t a total loss though. I made a batch of chili and I watched a few videos on dovetail joints and marked up my boards. I need to clear space on my bench to do the cutting, so that was my excuse for not starting on them until I finish gluing up the top. Out in the garage, I glued up a few more rows and while I was waiting for the glue to dry, I started thinking about the game pieces th...
https://youtu.be/JBLvcSFJ6Qo – here is the link to my video. I started this project one day when my daughter commented that she could beat me at the game of chess. While she was at school, I attempted to build a board with Purple Heart and Yellow Heart to play with. When I had nearly finished she arrived home from school and I asked if she would help me finish it. In the process some footage lost so we started again. The first board was aligned end grain so even though I used e...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1742 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 107 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 79 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1767 entries
- dbhost - 420 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- mafe - 304 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 246 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 220 entries
- robscastle - 218 entries
- Dave Rutan - 214 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 194 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 190 entries