This is my chess board before adding boarderI hope to band it with zebra and blood woodI gave up on the Zebra wood it closed on my saw before it could reach the splitterstopped her dead and blew the breakerBut i think the blood wood is gonna look goodStill searching for the perfect finish
I gave up on finishing this checkerboard project in time for Christmas, and then I was out of commission with a bad chest cold for another three weeks. Once I was back to 100%, I got to work finishing my White Oak Bookcase project. Now it’s time I got this one back on track. The last thing I had done on this project was to glue up all the squares for the top. I did half of the board at a time and then used my biscuit joiner to join the two sections together. I put in some time ...
These pawns I turned out of various pallet wood, deadfall, offcuts etc, the three on the right are out of african blackwood, once my final design is pleasing unto me I will turn a whole set. Each pawn becomes a little quicker. I turn them all on 3” faceplates but a chuck would be just as good. I didn’t bother to put a finish on most of them. I could probably have a game of chess just on prototypes alone! A work in progress may inspire others to try as well. I swapped out my 1.5...
I decided to make a 4.75” chess set and board. I knew it would take a while and it has taken me about 30 minutes per pawn to turn them not including 5 coats of wipe on poly with dry time between. So far I’ve turned all of the white pawns, which are curly maple. This is the first one I turned and it’s looking pretty rough, but I’ve gotten much better since I started. It all started with these turning templates that I made. I found the design for the pieces on the web...
I have started a full sized chess board made out of veneer. The squares are made from Nigerian Satinwood, Curly Maple, and edged with Mozambique. I used a dyed black veneer on it’s side for banding between the squares, and a pre-made banding for the outer trim. The board was made with most likely the most common method of cutting strips, and glueing them into a stripe pattern. Then cutting equal strips the other direction and glueing into the checker pattern. I added very thi...
After several hours of carving with my Dremel tool over the last two days, I completed the custom checkers for this project. This was my first attempt at wood carving and with 48 sides to carve, it was a bit tedious, but not too difficult. My skills improved a good deal by day two and I took some extra time to go back over the first day’s checkers and make sure they were all pretty consistent. I took some video of the carving process to post as a separate blog entry once I have...
The king is dead. A few weeks back, while we sure had some fierce gusts of wind, which caused my chess trellis to tip over. And while the (wood only) joinery of my trellis survived the impact with the ground (rocks and/or pottery) the wood itself did not. I found everything still together, save for the King himself. I originally intended to reattach it, but had the quick inspiration… a little poetic je ne sais quoi… some sort of “art (or hidden meaning) is in the e...
Welcome back to another installment of the chess corner! Today’s topic are turning knights for a chess set.I would say the knights are the most difficult piece to create as you have to turn it, then carve it out of whatever wood you are using for the set which may end up being tricky. There is two ways to so this, turn the base on the lathe then carve out the head with chisels and rifler files or carve the head separately then glue it onto a ready made base. I personally opt for...
I found this website, and now am inspired to make my own.http://www.straightupchess.com/store/index.cfm?category=2 I thought this was a really cool idea though I’m not sure yet on how I would want to install the glass or plexi row/stands. If you look closely it also has vertical slits between each checkerboard column. (i think)I wonder how this could have been accomplished
Welcome to another installment of the chess corner. Today’s topic is turning queens on the lathe.A queen’s base diameter is usually around 1 3/4” and the height around 3 3/4”. I use a caliper to measure while turning and turn everything gradually usually in three parts. The base, the stem of the piece and the crown and bring a pencil to the workpiece while it’s still turning after it has been turned round to mark the three segments and the decorative rings. This ...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1263 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 94 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 88 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Just for Fun... - 82 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 73 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1285 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 388 entries
- dbhost - 368 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 311 entries
- Karson - 301 entries
- Martin Sojka - 297 entries
- William - 255 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- mafe - 216 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 187 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- Rustic - 183 entries
- shipwright - 168 entries
- PurpLev - 163 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 159 entries
- stefang - 148 entries