I have been thinking about what I could build for my 10 year old daughter for Christmas. She enjoys board games like Monopoly and Clue, so I thought I would build a fancy board game box to hold a Monopoly set with a drawer to keep all the money, cards, and game pieces organized. I looked at the others posted on LJ and a few other places on the web for inspiration and I played around with a few designs of my own in SketchUp. As with most things I draw in SketchUp, I was spending so much t...
Here be a few photographs on a border design for one of the chess boards. This board is NSW Rosewood and Camphor Laurel The border was made by cutting triangles of NSW Rosewood and Silver Ash and laminating them between strips of Camphor Laurel and Queensland Maple..alternating the colors.. Then it was a matter of making a lip in some Rosewood and glueing the Triangular feature to the solid rosewood and mitre cutting the corners… this is actually harder than you might think...
I found this website, and now am inspired to make my own.http://www.straightupchess.com/store/index.cfm?category=2 I thought this was a really cool idea though I’m not sure yet on how I would want to install the glass or plexi row/stands. If you look closely it also has vertical slits between each checkerboard column. (i think)I wonder how this could have been accomplished
When making a traditional chess board from timber, the two different timbers are cut into 4 boards each… glued together in alternating stripes and then cross cut and rotated and reglued to make the checker design.. This also gives the squares the same direction of grain pattern. I know that most people shy away from cutting all the squares and then gluing up each piece … but as most of you will know, I have had much practice and for me it is no more difficult than glueing two...
I have purchased all the lumber necessary for construction of the table. I decided to make the chess board first. I first cut strips of maple and walnut to approximately 3/8” thick on the bandsaw. To minimize slippage during gluing I glued up each pair individually, Followed by cleaning up some of the glue and then gluing all the strips together, I then cut the glued up board and flipped every other strip to form the chess board. Here’s a close up o...
Hello. About a week ago I finished my chessboard project and gave it to my uncle on Christmas Eve. I do not have any good pictures of the completed project yet. My uncle’s wife is a photographer so I will soon get pictures of the board from her, then post pictures of the finished project. After the last blog entry, the first task I had to do was plane the underside of the board to fit to the groove in the frame. I just used my scrub plane to roughly flatten and bevel all edges until ...
I bought some nice Glass chess pieces at a garage.. read yard… sale.. lolThought I would post some pics of the the Why Do I? board set up for chess..I think It sets it off.I posted here ‘cause I wanted to avoid an accusation of reposting the same things twice?I think that keeping with the theme here I will post pics with shot glasses used as checkers.. lolTake a piece and take a shot lllooottttssss of fun hey.Anyone for a game? !!
Hello. Since my last post I got the carcase glued together. But before I glued the carcase together I drilled two countersunk holes through the rails. These are going to be for screws that will go through the rails into the board’s frame, holding the top to the carcase. The holes are slightly larger than the screws, so they should allow for any wood movement between the carcase and top. Before glue up I smoothed the inside surfaces. After the carcase was dry I clamped it to my ...
I decided to make a 4.75” chess set and board. I knew it would take a while and it has taken me about 30 minutes per pawn to turn them not including 5 coats of wipe on poly with dry time between. So far I’ve turned all of the white pawns, which are curly maple. This is the first one I turned and it’s looking pretty rough, but I’ve gotten much better since I started. It all started with these turning templates that I made. I found the design for the pieces on the web...
Hello. After my last post I was ready to start joinery on the main carcase. So I decided to do a dowel joint. I just used a simple block of wood with a 3/8” hole and fence clamped to it. The hole was placed so that it would be centered on 3/4” stock. I have lines drawn around the jig to locate the centre of the hole so I could align the jig to my marks on the work pieces. Here is the carcase disassembled with the dowels in place. You may be able to see in the picture the...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1742 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 105 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 79 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1767 entries
- dbhost - 418 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- mafe - 304 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 246 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 220 entries
- robscastle - 218 entries
- Dave Rutan - 213 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 193 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 190 entries